Bako drying out - can I add water?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alabamaeee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have used about a third of a 12 Kg box of Bako fondant, but despite sealing it up again and storing in a cool place it is drying out.

I have now packed it all into small take away boxes for use when required, but just wonder if I add a little water to each box and seal it again will it help or will it make the fondant go mouldy?

Some how air is getting to it, as I fed fondant in Jan that was two years old and it was lovely and moist having been stored in a not very wind proof shed.

Wrap it in cling film?

PH

Wrapping in cling film isn't enough ... I have some like that from last year that is rock hard now. Instead I now prepare it in plastic trays with a single thick poly sheet over the top - stuck to the fondant. This seems to keep it soft and usable.

Maybe if I now add a sheet of cling film on top of the fondant in each take away box and then snap on the tight fitting lid it will help prevent it drying out further.

Anyone added a little water to the boxes?

Pop some into a microwave for 20 seconds or so. It will then be malleable but intrinsically still dry. Add a little water and knead.
Be careful with the water though. I added too much to mine and it glooped down between frames onto the floor

Anyone added a little water to the boxes?

You will find if you do that, that the outside of the fondant will absorb the moisture and become sloppy, without permeating into the centre. It's highly unlikely that it will go mouldy but will make handling it at a later date a rather sticky affair. Likewise wrapping it up better now will not improve the softness of the crusty bits. The bees will still eat the crusty bits though. I would probably suggest the best thing to do is to wrap it well......a single layer of cling is not enough, but a continuing wrap around would be and then when you come to use it in the autumn, cut it and give it a bit of a spray with water.

Somewhere else I have given details of how to ressurect hard lumps of fondant by adding a little water and heating gently but I don't think it's appropriate in this instance.

Frisbee

I put mine in sealed freezer bags with all air excluded (within reason) and then store it in the freezer. Never had issues with it drying out. However mine is all home made as it's next to impossible to find a source for ready made fondant here in Massachusetts.

Strange - I rewrap my fondant in the same blue polythene it came in and store in a cardboard box. If anything, it seems more moist and stickier than when I bought it last Oct.

Thanks for replies.

As it turns out I only have 4 take away sized boxes left after feeding more this week, so I expect they will be OK for next winter.

Back