Bait Hive wins vote

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyJ01

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 odd
Hi,

My bait hive seems to have secured a vote of confidence this morning and is suddenly full of bees! It is a national box with three or four old frames of comb. Access is not brilliant (not sure I though this through) as it is in the roof space of the log store. Ideally I would like to move it assuming they settle to my other hives about 200 yards away. Can I shut them in and move tonight or do I need to worry about the 3 mile rule?

Any other tips?

Thanks

Hi,

My bait hive seems to have secured a vote of confidence this morning and is suddenly full of bees! It is a national box with three or four old frames of comb. Access is not brilliant (not sure I though this through) as it is in the roof space of the log store. Ideally I would like to move it assuming they settle to my other hives about 200 yards away. Can I shut them in and move tonight or do I need to worry about the 3 mile rule?

Any other tips?

Thanks

Are you sure a swarm has arrived and its not just excessive scouting? Just also checking the frames were clean of any honey?

If you have caught a swarm:
I find that soon after moving in a swarm will begin orientation flights so if you move now in a small proximity you will end up with a problem.

Lastly, DONT move them to your other hives, you have no idea where these bees have come from or if they have disease! Keep them at a separate location, leave them for a few days to use up their cropped honey stores then a light feed. Also add in extra foundation to fill the box, you'd be amazed how quickly a swarm will draw out comb!

Thanks.

I went out last night for a proper look. Up the ladder in the rain, climbing into a fairly claustrophobic space and opening up the box made me slightly apprehensive. Lifted off the roof and found a few bees scattered about, but not as many as I expected. Then I realised they were mostly clustered underneath the hive. I retreated to collect more hive parts and then built another hive and transferred bees and frames. I swept up the stragglers and dumped them in the new box and then added foundation. They'd already been drawing comb under the floor.

I will leave them there for now while I look for somewhere to move them out to for a few weeks. Anything else?

Latest posts

Back