Bait hive has had 8 days of sustained activity

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horseradish

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
A bait hive I set up has had 8 days of sustained activity. 30 - 50 bees fighting it out from 7am until 8pm every day. Inside are some frames with foundation, no food stores at all, so they're not robbing.

What is the time slot for potential swarm arrival? I take it that by the fact that the Bees are still here in numbers, it is still a possibility? They seem to be taking they're time over it!

A possibility, even a probability but other scouts are viewing alternative accommodation and enticing scout colleagues to view their nomination(s), when the decision is made they will arrive at your location or you will note a sudden desolate isolation of your venue should the vote go against you. As for time factor, it will depend on when they emerge, and how long they hang up for (whilst the decision is made) - hope you are selected.

Scouts will often check out options even before a swarm leaves imo

Scouts will often check out options even before a swarm leaves imo

Three days before swarming according to Seeley. The fact that there is fighting would indicate that there are scouts "viewing" from more than one colony.

The sign is that the activity increases slowly over a few days then gets really busy with hundreds checking it out then nothing at all for up to an hour then woosh they arrive.

I think they are teasing you only. :(

PH

With Ian on this ... We know that when scouts appear about the house (Hives about 300 yards away) and sheds that swarming is likely imminent. Reinforced if they are unusually aggressive at this distance from the hive.

Well, thank you for the insights. There's no harm in leaving the box there I guess. I will maybe crack it open tonight and see if they've been nibbling at the foundation but otherwise try to be more patient.

I would have expected a swarm by now and I would expect the activity to increase. By tomorrow the beekeeper(s) may have realised what is happening and the numbers will decrease and then none at all.

I set up a bait hive myself a few weeks back. Was getting a similar amount of scouts for a week or so, all day long. They were so keen! This was near a cluster known wild colonies. I asked a few more experienced bods, showed them video clips, they said they felt sure the swarm would move in with a couple of days. A day or so after I was there observing and one of the wild colonies swarmed. Off went ‘my’ bees with them. Next day not a single one. I gave up and removed the bait hive after that. So I learned nothing is certain until they actually move in.

To mis-quote the great polyhive. “Bees do nothing invariably and if they do it isn’t what you expected or wanted”
The fact that your bait hive was second best this time does not mean it won’t be regarded as prime real estate next time. One thing is for sure if you don’t have a bait hive, you will not attract a swarm (the Latin technical term for which in Yorkshire is apis freebis)

Last edited:
Well, Day 10 and they are still at it, first Bee turned up just before 6 this morning. I am hoping that after 2 days of rain, today might be the day. At this point, I am just rolling with it - I no longer know what is going on.

https://www.twitch.tv/aaetre

Link to the camera I have on the hive, if anyone was interested.

Curse you! That's work done for the day now. I'm just going to sit and watch bees on my phone. Hope the swarm turns up soon!

I presume the camera is a wired one. Fascinating activity for an empty hive!
E

I know! They do this every day. 50 or 60 Bees going nuts and fighting at the entrance. I am starting to think they have started up a local Bee fighting club..

Latest posts

Back