Bailey Comb Change - QE and entrance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

match

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
6-8
Just wondering how exactly people here do a Bailey Comb change in terms of entrance position? I've seen various methods described, but I'm unsure what counts as the 'best' approach.

1. Leave the main entrance at the bottom.
2. Put an upper entrance on top of the QE. (most commonly recommended).
3. Put an upper entrance just under the QE.

1 can result in the foragers store pollen downstairs which goes to waste when the frames are removed, which is solved by 2/3.
2 results in trapped drones which need let out, which is solved by 3.
But 1 and 3 both cause problems for any new queens if they swarm/supersede!

So what method do you all prefer? Any other pros or cons, or other options I've missed?

Just wondering how exactly people here do a Bailey Comb change in terms of entrance position? I've seen various methods described, but I'm unsure what counts as the 'best' approach.

1. Leave the main entrance at the bottom.
2. Put an upper entrance on top of the QE. (most commonly recommended).
3. Put an upper entrance just under the QE.

1 can result in the foragers store pollen downstairs which goes to waste when the frames are removed, which is solved by 2/3.
2 results in trapped drones which need let out, which is solved by 3.
But 1 and 3 both cause problems for any new queens if they swarm/supersede!

So what method do you all prefer? Any other pros or cons, or other options I've missed?
Hi just done one and I had similar angst when starting doing these.
My recommendations vs your questions are:

Close the bottom entrance. You don’t want pollen being stored in the bottom combs or the bees traipsing over the dirty combs first

Put the new top entrance ABOVE the queen excluder. Otherwise foragers will have some of the pollen knocked off. As you say let’s all workers and queen and drones in the top box out

You can open the bottom entrance to let drones out once a day for a few mins but do this once they’ve reoriented

I help them reorientate by putting a vertical plank of wood from the bottom entrance (down to ground level) and up to the new top entrance. They land on the board and walk up! They soon ‘get it’

Don’t forget to check the bottom box after first 7 days, sometimes get emergency type cells in the bottom box which you should knock off

Hope this helps

I use a Bailey board with a notch cut out both sides of the QX. Close the bottom entrance three days after putting the board in.

Thanks - yes the 'going back to let the drones out' is the bit I'm keen to avoid, as these are sometimes relatively remote apiaries so multiple visits is a pain. Eric's system of entrance on both sides is the obvious solution really, as it lets drones out and avoids pollen loss/queen issues.

Latest posts

Back