Attn admins... please leave up as it's important.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
Please check your credit card statements as I have just had £140 refunded due to a fraudulent transaction on mine.

Beware....... and I am bloody careful.

Can the admins not move this for a day to max the viewing please.

PH

I thought the outstanding amount was too high so checked the statement and that amount of just under £140 jumped out, and I didn't recognise the name. I googled them and it was a software company.

I got on the phone to the bank and they agreed with me it was odd and after ten minutes or so it was sorted.

PH

Check your UK/EU driving licence is in date, also your passport.
If you cave ticked the box that says you wear glasses or other corrective devices for driving, make sure you carry a spare pair in the vehicle you are driving.

Another reason for checking you bank statement, presumptive government fines you may be unaware of!

Don't just watch for large sums, watch for small amounts too. Credit thieves often make a small charge to see if a card number is accepted, then if it is not challenged, they make a series of large purchases. I found such a "teaser" purchase on a credit card a few years ago and promptly called the bank. I insisted on a new card with new numbers along with the refund.

Flip side of this, a friend who runs a machinery business had a large order called in and picked up. The purchase was rejected 2 months later. It was a hard enough blow that he had to close his business permanently. Fraud does not just affect the end purchaser, it also affects businesses that accept cards.

This has happened to me twice recently. First time, around 10 transactions were made, all for around £100, all buying from the same place, before I spotted it. I was surprised the card company fraud detection software did not pick this up. Second time the fraudster failed to change the delivery address and I received around £800 of racing gear.

A couple of other top tips:
- never give out any details to anyone phoning you about your faulty internet / bank problem etc. Always call them directly, but watch out for the buggers remaining on the line
- keep your antivirus software up to date. Rebuilding your PC / losing data is a pain

Latest posts

Back