Attacked by my Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One tip when anticipating a colony is going to be feisty is to wait 2-3 minutes after smoking them before opening them up.
The bottom line is to prevent them getting aggressive, similar to upsetting the misses, once she's upset then anything to try and calm her down seems to only pour petrol on the fire so your best is just leaving well alone and walking away!

As I don't wear gloves, I am sensitive to how bees react. Like Pargyle I light a smoker but hardly use it..

If bees come out and attack me, I leave them alone until they are feeling less bolshie.

I tried a water sprayer but against a really determined b..... nasty colony, it's a waste of time.

Wasps and honey removal at this time of year make even the most placid colonies quite bad tempered. Apart from varroa treatment, I don't open hives after harvesting honey. And nothing until March.

One thing I learned one evening last month was to never open up a hive if you have citronella-based mosquito repellent on your hands. I was repelled rather quickly!

One thing I learned one evening last month was to never open up a hive if you have citronella-based mosquito repellent on your hands. I was repelled rather quickly!

So they attacked you rather than keeping away from you.... Interesting!
E

My bees are grumpy too.....I think it's the weather, it's decidedly autumnal here. I have left well alone since the weather turned. I have started autumn feeding on our weaker two hives. I only went to top up a feeders on Friday and the bees were bouncing off my veil.

As I don't wear gloves, I am sensitive to how bees react. Like Pargyle I light a smoker but hardly use it..

If bees come out and attack me, I leave them alone until they are feeling less bolshie.

I tried a water sprayer but against a really determined b..... nasty colony, it's a waste of time.

Wasps and honey removal at this time of year make even the most placid colonies quite bad tempered. Apart from varroa treatment, I don't open hives after harvesting honey. And nothing until March.

:iagree: Bout using the smoker, though lit, often very little or not at all.

I do wear gloves and to reduce stings further, I've started wearing a pair of those very thin, silk gloves under my rubber goves, (the sort that cyclists wear under their main gloves for insulation) and they have proved really good.
My Outer gloves have received stings but none have got through to my hands.

I hardly open the brood boxes in August, save to put on the varroa thymol treatment and the winter feed. I heft them to check they are not low on stores. They don't like being inspected when there is not much of a flow on. I think August is a good time for beekeepers to go on holiday and give the bees a break.

:iagree: Would perhaps add that it might be wise to make entrances very small before turning your back, to save them the stress of defending against wasps.

Thanks for all the advice. I shall try and find a local Bee keeper to lend a hand. As not joining Bee club till November. So if any one out there lives near me. I would appreciate a hand, my usual mentor now unavalable.

Ok every one. went back in today full armoured. Bees much calmer and allowed me access at least to supers. All fine.....as far as i can tell. watched for a while and all bees appear healthy and in good condition. Removed tray and replaced with new to check for varoa. Large colony have refilled a super i put back in to be cleaned two weeks ago. All good. Now i am going on holiday for a week

Latest posts

Back