Attack on Amateur Beekeepers on BBC Radio Derby – Aleena Naylor programme

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me it wasn't so much what he said but how he said it. I'd never heard of him before listening to that clip but I could picture some guy ranting, face gradually getting redder and breathing becoming laboured as he got into a rant.

Being ex-forces myself though, I'm surprised he managed to restrain himself from swearing - or maybe they had to do multiple takes ;)

:iagree: I was ok with 90% of what he said, but I do find he 'over egged the pudding' on a few points, such as rubbishing research whilst offering no solid evidence to contradict it. But, the anger he had with everybody who wasn't a professional beekeeper! In this country, pretty much most beeks aren't professional bee farmers, so I'm taking this to be him trying to eliminate his 'competition' in the honey market!

My main "interest" was the way he had no time for anything "academic". You almost ended up feeling that he would have liked to be an academic but didn't make it.

He stated that acarine was brought into yjis country by amateur beekeepers - where's the proof to back this up? Also he claims that bees became extinct due to acarine, I dont think thats correct either.

He states that bees have become extinct in this country twice, once by acarine, whats the other occasion, is he talking about varroa ? If so then he is incorrect again.

Wheres ITLD when you want him? It would be interested to hear what he has to say on the subject

When someone says "trust me" I know he can't be trusted. Listening between the words I feel this man has an ulterior motive.

I agree with both points. However, he does have a point in much of what he says. Beekeeping is not organised. It is not heavily regulated. But then I don't understand his opprobrium for amateur beekeepers. If we cannot determine how many bees there are in this country, nor justify a statement that their numbers are in decline, how the effing hell can he say that the problems are caused to such an extent by amateurs?

I was with him to a point, but ultimately came across as a bit of a w*nker.

Sorry, Winker, not referring to you.

If I were asked to speculate as to whether beekeeping is on the rise or in decline I would ponder on this forum for the likeliest answer.

Pretty clear to me.

PH

Around where I live it's going to be difficult to find sites for hives that aren't already being regarded with envious eyes...

I think we just doubled the original audience........
It was Radio Derby.......

No, he's a honey packer. He claims to have thousands of colonies but they actually belong to his suppliers.

Afternote: (timed at 21:56 on 16th April 2012, for the benefit of any lawers) I believe they have a few hives. Six was the last figure I heard but it must be more now due to the owner's interest in honey bees.

Jeese...I just want to keep bees in my garden and have honey for friends and family. I don't want to be regulated or controlled. I just want a hobby. Scary talk

Nutter, How on earth would fruit crops get pollinated without insects, look how the Chinese have to pollinate their pear trees and what would the American's think of pollinating their almond trees without bees ?
Another case of mans greed and talking through his a**:smash: over his head

to quote 'Goldie Lookin' Chain'
" I tried to see things from his point of view
but I couldn't fit my head up his ar*ehole too"

Interestingly a normal beekeeper was on radio Derby in the afternoon following the mornings rubbish.

Its a bit more interesting listening.

Go to:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00q7x1c

Move the slider to:

0:16:28

and

0:28:10

A much more balanced view point.

Loved the sign off "It sounds like there needs to be a lot more research into our bees" - I think the gist of the interview was diametrically opposed to that :smilielol5:

The afternoon piece gives a much more balanced view point. More quietly spoken person, much less bombastic and the facts most certainly were not twisted.

However, damage may have been done in the morning session which needs to be repaired by Radio Derby. (I.E. differences in the AM & PM audiences).

Its unprofessional of the BBC to wind us up with such rubbish and leave it until much later to balance the article.

Nearly all media head line articles are immediately followed by 'the other' side and not left in the air, after all not all of are able to listen to the radio continuously throughout the day.

However, let’s hope sufficient people “bombarded” Radio Derby to make them think again and do something appropriate about it to make things right.

I hope that forum members will provide some support here.

E-Mail address of radio Derby:

[email protected]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back