Attack on Amateur Beekeepers on BBC Radio Derby – Aleena Naylor programme

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as I can see he is not a commercial beekeeper.
He does not run 40 + hives (from the information posted on here)

He is a honey packer, distributing, in the main (I assume) imported honey.

I wonder if he is in the Commercial Beekeepers Association?

The two organisations you might be thinking of are the Bee Farmers Association, of which he is definitely not a member, and the Honey Association, which represents honey traders, importers/exporters, and packers, and for whom I cannot speak :)

Just as a matter of interest, where do you find most of the new blood to work in commercial beekeeping? I'm guessing most of it is amateur beeks who have decided they'd like to turn it into a job or business. If so, what's your opinion of the quality of amateur beeks?

There are good amateurs, and bad amateurs, just like there are good professionals, and bad professionals. However, the amateurs do not necessarily have to apply a commercial perspective to time, effort, and money inputs, and the resulting outputs (income). It is, after all, generally a hobby, an interest, an indulgence at the amateur level. A commercial perspective doesn't make you better - or worse! - as a beekeeper, it just means that you are aware that the bees are keeping you. It also doesn't mean that you have to put aside the fascination - or indeed empathy - with honey bees. You are in fact more reliant upon their success ;)

but presenting that as from somewhere calling itself an "Apiary" wouldn't you assume that it was from that apiary?

I agree with your sentiment, but to be fair (pedantic?!) the title does say Apiaries.

I suspect they are not unknown to Trading Standards, particularly due to their assertions around organic English (British?) honey. They certainly wouldn't be the first to sail close to the wind with their labelling - I can think of another commercial outfit who very clearly and prominently display their English address on the front label of their orange blossom honey, and it's only when you squint at the small print on the back label that you learn that it is the "produce of EU and non-EU countries" or something similar...

But the programme is execrable. I don't care if he is a beek. It's awful.

Just found out that their will probably be a live session with a real beekeeper going out on air on Radio Derby tomorrow morning at around 10:45 am.

If this is the case will post a link when it is on the iPlayer.

The Live session on the Alena Naylor Show is definately on this morning. The Radio Derby web page schedule says:

An alternative view from a Derbyshire beekeeper on claims a decline in bee numbers could mean spiralling grocery costs for us all.

To confirm the show is today starting at 10:00 on BBC Radio Derby the session will probably be on air at around 10:45.

We should get a balanced view point this time.

And here was me thinking that the controversy was about Spacey's accusation that it's amateur beeks doing the damage and that more regulation is necessary.

I am sure that the beekeeper going on the programme knows why he is there.

It was Spacey's barage that caused the mass of complaints about blaming local beekeepers for the problems. Hopefully Radio Derby are trying to put this right.

We will find out shortly.

Listening live on iPlayer

"We're talking bees very shortly indeed."

Michael Jackson first, though.

That very politely and clearly knocked the nail on the head without mentioning a certain person’s name. (Within a restricted time limit).

The key factor is that Radio Derby, due to the pressure, quickly appreciated that they were in the wrong, did their best to put things right equally quickly and arranged the new interview within today’s busy schedule. I E-mailed them to express this.

The second key factor is, that I am sure Radio Derby now appreciate that they should not put out biased and factually wrong pre-recorded interviews. Especially when that person came with a reputation. I am sure this will help to prevent unfair broadcasts that could have effected many other groups in the future, had we and other people not made this stand.

Last chance to listen to the iPlayer links on this thread.

The first link will disappear from the iPlayer Monday lunchtime, the other two over the next few days.

Latest posts

Back