At the entrance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
National and 14x12
Honeybee nucleus colony. Activity at the entrance is often a clue to what is going on inside. This time under the floor. Honeybees are seen passing under the entrance & bees on the side showing a languid demeanour. Queen was in residence so likely a small swarm settled under the nuc.

Attachments

• CAFDBCFE-10D4-42CF-BDA3-51BE8F98E438.mov
    9.2 MB
Honeybee nucleus colony. Activity at the entrance is often a clue to what is going on inside. This time under the floor. Honeybees are seen passing under the entrance & bees on the side showing a languid demeanour. Queen was in residence so likely a small swarm settled under the nuc.
That is a bit of an unfortunate gap right by the entrance. I think I might block that off. Mesh floor?

That is a bit of an unfortunate gap right by the entrance. I think I might block that off. Mesh floor?
See where you’re coming from. Part of original colony clustering under OMF from misdirection. Will hopefully find a virgin queen in the cluster when I shake them into a box. Will let you know

Turned out the cluster under the OMF were bees from the nuc. Now closed off that space under the entrance.
I didn't like to suggest that but it is such a common thing. Well done for noticing it

Fantastic filming.

Do you know what the light pinkish coloured pollen is?

I don't recall ever seeing that down here.

I've never seen my bees on Cow Parsley but they do use Hogweed ......Heracleum sphondylium..... which has that colour pollen

I've never seen my bees on Cow Parsley but they do use Hogweed ......Heracleum sphondylium..... which has that colour pollen
My bees have been on the cow parsley for some days. The corbiculae in the attached picture show the colour of the pollen she is carrying.

Attachments

• IMG_0020.jpeg
    IMG_0020.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back