Queen balled - perplexed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a look in yesterday. Queen nowhere to be seen. I suspect she's brown bread.
Interestingly there were no EQCs despite a wealth of very young larvae. There were, however, two of what I would normally assess as charged Swarm Cells (single QCs, edge of the brood nest/frame, one on each frame).

Which queen, combined or queen and colony placed in vacated spot?
The 2 cells will be supercedure cells, original queen didn't make the grade and is being replaced.

Any cell built to produce a queen is a queen cell. I had one colony with an old queen, who was not laying well, produced just one queen cell. Supercedure cell says I, classic. They swarmed. It is the bees who decide the intention not the number ( or location) of any queen cells built. Bees will be bees.

charged Swarm Cells (single QCs, edge of the brood nest/frame, one on each frame)
why does that make them 'swarm' cells? they are queen cells end of, the only cells you can hazard a guess on are emergency cells as they are usually (but not always) shaped differently.
The position of a QC on a frame means SFA

Which queen, combined or queen and colony placed in vacated spot?
The 2 cells will be supercedure cells, original queen didn't make the grade and is being replaced.
I should have been clearer. This was the colony where the queen was balled and has now disappeared.

Latest posts

Back