Assessing performance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is only one way to know if the trait is actually expressed, and, that's to test it
Would be nice to know if the trait is expressed as a DNA sequence... then that trait could be looked for in the breeder queen and or drone.... some way off perhaps.....

Yeghes da

.....and not something the average beekeeper can do

.....and not something the average beekeeper can do

Perhaps the BBKA could run yet another a new module on just that subject so that the Great and Good can have another certificate to hang on the wall for all to admire!

:calmdown:
My mother still proudly displays my framed swimming certificate for 25 yards.. much to my embarrassment!

Yeghes da

There is too much talk about selecting queens for propagation using proxies instead of doing the actual testing. There is only one way to know if the trait is actually expressed, and, that's to test it.

Measure, review, repeat... measure, review, repeat, ... measure, review, repeat... sounds like hard work ;)

Would be nice to know if the trait is expressed as a DNA sequence... then that trait could be looked for in the breeder queen and or drone....

Sounds easy - identify the sequence and then produce perfect queens every time.

Reminds me of the periodic discussion of a magic wand to wave over a hive that indicates precisely where the queen is...

Reminds me of the periodic discussion of a magic wand to wave over a hive that indicates precisely where the queen is...

Mini/micro queen dowsing rods... I thought everyone used them... open meshed floors must be earthed tho!

Yeghes da

Mini/micro queen dowsing rods... I thought everyone used them... open meshed floors must be earthed tho!

Yeghes da

If we can return to the purpose of this thread, I think I demonstrated that there can be variation even within sister groups mated to the same drones (for many generations). That is why actual testing is required and a DNA test, although indicative of a trait, should not be used exclusively. It is not sufficient evidence to base a breeding programme on. I would consider it a pre-test tool in much the same way as we currently use hygienic testing as an indicator of potential VSH behaviour.
We know that sperm produced by a single drone are all clones. However, there may be variation between drones produced by the same queen (i.e. a different set of 16 chromosomes from the queens 32). There may also be variation on the female side in the egg which is fertilized to become the virgin queen. That is why we talk of averages so much in breeding.

Latest posts

Back