Asparagus beetle

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Has anyone else had a real battle with the beetle this year? If so, is there a secret to dealing with them?
I've been going around every evening and squashing them but there's always more the next day!
I'm assuming the commercial growers must apply an insecticide - pyrethrin?

It's a shame the season is so short though. Although, by mid June I've almost had my fill - a month later it seems so long until the new season!

I'd like the stuff much more if it didn't make my pee smell horrendous!
There's a city in Europe (can't remember where) which has an asparagus festival - I can only imagine what the public loos smell like! 😱

We get asparagus beetle but luckily they start early just as the fronds are opening. We check every day when picking the asparagus and knock them into a margarine tub. You have to be careful as they drop to the ground and you lose them. As the picking season ends and the asparagus grows it gets much stronger and can cope with most of the beetles and their grubs. We have a huge asparagus bed and have just started another so it is important to keep on top of the beetle. Right now I have a million asparagus flowers covered in bees with fluorescent orange pollen😁

Latest posts

Back