EFB Notification

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 National
Morning,

Just received notification from BeeBase that EFB has been confirmed within 3km of my hive locations.

I did quite a thorough check on Monday, and did not see any worrying signs, but will have another look more focused on EFB checking. Have 2 swarms, so will check these first.

Anyone have any recommendations as to what to do next, and should I expect an inspection?

Have a good day

Lee

Nothing to particularly worry about, just put a robust bio security regime in place - the 'normal' procedure would be to clean hive tools between apiaries, but for now clean tools/gloves between colonies and wash/change bee suits between apiaries if you have multiple.
I have a bucket of strong washing soda solution at each apiary which I change regularly and keep the apiary tools in there, including a kitchen washing up brush to scrub the hive tool and the smoker bellows.
wash the contact point of your smoker (the bellows basically, where your hands touch during inspections) at the end of the inspection before setting off to the next apiary.
wear marigold gloses you can easily wash after each inspection, or consider using nitriles
for your own peace of mind do a thorough disease inspection - that is, look for nothing else apart from colony health, shake the bees off each frame of brood so you can get a good look at it.
You probably will get a mandatory inspection, but that is nothing to fret over.

Had notification at beginning of June then email from SBI booking in visit
Luckily all clear but comment was lots of disease about with weather conditions not helping

Latest posts

Back