asking a research favour for the spring

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is asking a long way in advance .... but I would like a picture of your bees when they come out in couple of months time , especially if you know the subspecies.
This picture is your bee drinking a drop of honey or nectar while sitting on a piece of graph paper along side a rule so I know how big the squares are. The picture should be taken from a directly above the bee from about 300mm with a mobile phone camera. I will give a example picture a bit later and can send you a piece of graph paper if you need it.
Why? you might ask. Its because the size of bees(especially the body diameter) matters a LOT in determining the internal air currents in a hive. But no one has the measurements that matter to airflow. To date I have to estimate from cell sizes, but with a picture I not only get the size but how hairy the bee is. That also counts a lot in hive air flow. Please also include the name of the nearest town and if you know it the size of the foundation if any.
I think any A.m.m afficianado might be really interested in this as it might be the key adaptation to our wonderful climate. If you are interested please Pm me here or email [email protected]

Yes ... I can do that. Hopefully you will be swamped with photos of bees. The airflow currents you detailed in your talk at out association last year were fascinating and probably explain a lot of the odd things bees do with wax.

sitting on a piece of graph paper
Do you require a certain type of graph paper? The only metric stuff I've got has pretty chunky lines, I'm not sure it is very accurate for the measurements you'll be making. I probably do still have some ancient imperial graph paper that is higher quality with thin lines.

with a mobile phone camera
Also is a phone camera absolutely necessary? I'm probably the only person left in the world who doesn't have such a device! Can do a digital camera with macro lens though!

Do you require a certain type of graph paper? The only metric stuff I've got has pretty chunky lines, I'm not sure it is very accurate for the measurements you'll be making. I probably do still have some ancient imperial graph paper that is higher quality with thin lines.
just put a metric ruler in the picture... actually anything up 5mm squares will do. I'm comparing sizes of the squares to the bee on a computer. So im not actually "counting" squares as such.

Another volunteer here.

Will do - if reminded

Latest posts

Back