Asian Hornets

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have a 3D printer (or know someone who does) the cones for the French traps are available on Thingiverse at no cost. All you then need is the bait box to fit the cones to.
Could you link to the details on thingiverse? With the amount of traps I.m likely to put up it could be worth buying a 3D printer! Any recommendations?

Could you link to the details on thingiverse? With the amount of traps I.m likely to put up it could be worth buying a 3D printer! Any recommendations?
If you do then set up shop here please. Lots of us would be customers.

I’d imagine if you get a few in traps you could chill the buggers in the freezer till comatose then apply Custard. Far more efficient than waving a bat around, but maybe not as satisfying😂

Yes in your situation/set up a 3d printer will be indespensible for the quantity you may require in the future Neil.
You only have to think £20 - £30's per pair of units then X by your 40 odd colonies you look after to see how the cost will mount up.

If you have a 3D printer (or know someone who does) the cones for the French traps are available on Thingiverse at no cost. All you then need is the bait box to fit the cones to.

Richard Noel's YouTube video where he made up Jabeprode traps, the boxes look like standard Euro stacking boxes. They are sized to fit together.

#edit The only other component is the floor mesh which looks finer than standard mesh floor, I guess to exclude small flies getting down into the bait.

Strikes me that the message about trapping isn't getting home.

If velutina traps are so effective, why is there a perpetual problem in those areas of mainland Europe where the traps are being used?

If, in the UK we get to the point where we have to use velutina traps then we have lost the plot and allowed velutina to establish itself. That may well happen if we continue to think trapping instead of disruption and eradication.

If velutina traps are so effective, why is there a perpetual problem in those areas of mainland Europe where the traps are being used?

If, in the UK we get to the point where we have to use velutina traps then we have lost the plot and allowed velutina to establish itself. That may well happen if we continue to think trapping instead of disruption and eradication.
For the % handled in your example with a vespula. If a secondary nest is capable of producing 1000 fertile queens by leaving only one alive that reaches October, the problem is perpetuated and despite this we would be talking about a joint efficiency (traps, wintering, ecology) of 99.9%.

One has to include all options .
Trapping is just part of the option along with eradication and V.v disruption during foraging. Trapping only occurring once V.v is evident in an apiary.

I’d imagine if you get a few in traps you could chill the buggers in the freezer till comatose then apply Custard. Far more efficient than waving a bat around, but maybe not as satisfying😂
My thoughts exactly, I’m not going to be around my out apiaries most of the time so a trap that catches them would be useful if someone ever thought of using custard.

If you do then set up shop here please. Lots of us would be customers.
I’m sure there are many here proficient in using 3D printers that would do a much better job.
I’ve got to find out which is the best printer to buy first! 🙂

I think that needs to SHOUTED OUT VERY LOUDLY

For the % handled in your example with a vespula. If a secondary nest is capable of producing 1000 fertile queens by leaving only one alive that reaches October, the problem is perpetuated and despite this we would be talking about a joint efficiency (traps, wintering, ecology) of 99.9%.
Thank you for your illuminating example of precisely what I'm talking about.

Fipronil custard eradicates nests before they produce sexuals so there's no need for trapping because there are no hornets that need to be trapped.

That was Mazzamazda's experience. He didn't need velutina traps because he eradicated the problem. If all the beekeepers with velutina at their hives followed suit there would be no velutina but trapping was preferred instead and Portugal and infested parts of mainland Europe continue to pay the price.

Thank you for your illuminating example of precisely what I'm talking about.

Fipronil custard eradicates nests before they produce sexuals so there's no need for trapping because there are no hornets that need to be trapped.

That was Mazzamazda's experience. He didn't need velutina traps because he eradicated the problem. If all the beekeepers with velutina at their hives followed suit there would be no velutina but trapping was preferred instead and Portugal and infested parts of mainland Europe continue to pay the price.
And to put an end to other fauna, also including the bees themselves. He knows that fipronil reaches the nests, but not what happens or the remains that remain. He is playing into the hands of Bayer and company because there would be no difference between his proposal and that of fumigating agricultural fields to avoid other pests.

put an end to other fauna
It is said that the custard will inactivate Fipronil after a short period and avoid such alarmist environmental fallout, but without authoritative evaluation of the mode of inactivation, the custard method will result in widespread resistance from the VMD et al.

It is said that the custard will inactivate Fipronil after a short period and avoid such alarmist environmental fallout, but without authoritative evaluation of the mode of inactivation, the custard method will result in widespread resistance from the VMD et al.
I am still waiting for she to link the study that supports said inactivity and that supports its effectiveness as a "final solution."

Spot on (if you'll forgive the pun).

Authoritative evaluation is required but there has to be a driver for that authoritative evaluation to take place in the first instance. It's not unlawful to discuss a potential option if that discussion helps promulgate authoritative intervention and evaluation.

The driver in the UK doesn't, quite rightly, presently exist and long may that be the case. The NBU is the first and last port of call for controlled eradication in the UK with support from beekeepers actively monitoring for the presence of velutina. That being the case there are no grounds for the VMD to be concerned as there are no grounds to deploy the method in the UK which is the sole jurisdiction of the VMD. I gently remind UK members that the forum extends beyond the UK.

That said in relation to the UK monitoring and trapping are two different processes with very different outcomes. One (monitoring at feed stations) is designed to assist the NBU deliver controlled targetted eradication. The other (ill considered trapping) risks creating the ecological space for velutina to gain a foothold by collaterally removing competition.

The forum serves a valuable function for the cross pollination of ideas and education. I have already explained my reasons for reporting on the work done in Portugal and the disclaimers remain. It is up to individuals in their own territories to follow their own rules and regulations and it is important to bear in mind that the rules and regulations in each territory will be different not least for conducting research and seeking and obtaining participation and approval from the appropriate authorities.

And to put an end to other fauna, also including the bees themselves. He knows that fipronil reaches the nests, but not what happens or the remains that remain. He is playing into the hands of Bayer and company because there would be no difference between his proposal and that of fumigating agricultural fields to avoid other pests.
What utter rubbish.

I have spent the past two decades re-educating the pest control industry in the UK away from using pesticides as a means to control vespines focusing instead on integrated wasp management. The courses I run in the UK attract 12 cpd points from the National Pest Technician Association and 10 cpd points from the British Pest Control Association. Given that the whole ethos of integrated wasp management is to manage and not eradicate wasps in environmentally sensitive ways to restrict the use of pesticides, that should reassure you that when I share my knowledge it's not to become the bedfellow of Bayer and it's certainly not to harm ecology.

Latest posts

Back