Asian Hornet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bee inspector was on site yesterday, trapping and tracing the nest ... whilst it is still not confirmed I don't think it's a sick joke - there have been apiary sightings which they want to confirm.
NBU came out promptly for the Gosport sighting as there was a creditable photo.
There are also 3 other creditable sightings in completely different locations currently being followed up.
Don't hold your breath on being notified though. Beekeepers get notified through the media along with everybody else. 🙄

The Welsh Beekeepers association have an Asian Hornet Webinar called "Asian hornet - the story so far" planned for tomorrow (Thursday) the talk is by our regional bee inspector.

Here's the registration page: https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/1895903702312665355

All are welcome to take part (as far as I can gather not just Wales), the webinar is free.

This being Asian Hornet Awareness Week, is very timely if anyone has a bit of time and would like to volunteer help with their local AH Teams.
There is a short quiz/exercise here for anybody who wants to check their knowledge about AH. Completion of the quiz and registration gives you extra insurance when out locating nests (separate from BDI ).
The quiz itself is extremely simple (it won't let you proceed until you pick the correct multi-choice answer) but it's still very useful.

The bee inspector was on site yesterday, trapping and tracing the nest ... whilst it is still not confirmed I don't think it's a sick joke - there have been apiary sightings which they want to confirm.
The biggest problem they're having apparently is that people are trapping and killing the AH's which means the NBU team can't use them to track back to the nest - now that the team are in the area it would be best to leave them alone.
It's been confirmed anyway, doubtless we'll get the press release later

The biggest problem they're having apparently is that people are trapping and killing the AH's which means the NBU team can't use them to track back to the nest - now that the team are in the area it would be best to leave them alone.
It's been confirmed anyway, doubtless we'll get the press release later
Ah now there’s a problem.
I suppose the knee jerk reflex on a reported sighting is to blame or were all these traps out already?

What has been confirmed ?
Live forageing/hawking Asian hornets or just the dead one in the pic ?

What has been confirmed ?
Live forageing/hawking Asian hornets or just the dead one in the pic ?
Live Velutina - nest not traced yet, hampered a bit by the kneejerk placing of kill traps everywhere

Ah now there’s a problem.
I suppose the knee jerk reflex on a reported sighting is to blame or were all these traps out already?

Our local associations have been asking us all to put out hornet traps as we have been expecting this - we had a lecture last October from the AAH coordinator for Hampshire and he even sold us (very cheap) traps specifically designed to catch the beggars ... I've had a trap out all season ... what do they want ? No traps so they can catch and release or traps to identify they are there ?

This being Asian Hornet Awareness Week, is very timely if anyone has a bit of time and would like to volunteer help with their local AH Teams.
There is a short quiz/exercise here for anybody who wants to check their knowledge about AH. Completion of the quiz and registration gives you extra insurance when out locating nests (separate from BDI ).
The quiz itself is extremely simple (it won't let you proceed until you pick the correct multi-choice answer) but it's still very useful.
I've done it - pleasantly surprised at how much I knew ... mind you we are on the front line down here and have been bombarded with AH info for the last three years - every beekeeper should do it ... good information if you have any doubts about your knowledge of the beastie ....

Our local associations have been asking us all to put out hornet traps as we have been expecting this.
Yet speakers at international conferences have said all along that trapping is not working.
Just looking out for them is the absolute best option.
At this time of year they are attracted to ivy (both for the nectar and the bees they can catch there) and autumn-flowering Camellia.
BBKA has asked people to actively keep an eye out (near their hives or just generally) for one hour a day during AH Awareness week. Surely we can manage that much?!

Yet speakers at international conferences have said all along that trapping is not working.
Just looking out for them is the absolute best option.
At this time of year they are attracted to ivy (both for the nectar and the bees they can catch there) and autumn-flowering Camellia.
BBKA has asked people to actively keep an eye out (near their hives or just generally) for one hour a day during AH Awareness week. Surely we can manage that much?!
So should there be some sort of official guidance on the placement of traps?
Where are the local BKAs getting their advice from?

So should there be some sort of official guidance on the placement of traps?
Where are the local BKAs getting their advice from?
Local leads get protocols from county leads and so on up the ladder.
Advice is very fragmentary.
Despite DEFRA having had a (very long and detailed) contingency plan for the last several years, dissemination of info has only really stepped up in about the last year.
There is a huge amount of research from Spain/France from whose experiences we can learn a lot but there has been a certain amount of complacency.
Comparison with UK's lack of early response to Covid-19 following Europe's lived experiences springs to mind. 🙄

Local leads get protocols from county leads and so on up the ladder.
Advice is very fragmentary.
Despite DEFRA having had a (very long and detailed) contingency plan for the last several years, dissemination of info has only really stepped up in about the last year.
There is a huge amount of research from Spain/France from whose experiences we can learn a lot but there has been a certain amount of complacency.
Comparison with UK's lack of early response to Covid-19 following Europe's lived experiences springs to mind. 🙄
What I mean is, why are the likes of Pargyle's BKA telling their members to put kill traps out when as you've said that trapping isn't working? You can understand his frustration at putting traps out especially in view of the fact that he is on "The Front Line" only to find the NBU don't have live insects to track. It's daft. One hand and the other spring to mind.

One hand and the other spring to mind.
Completely agree.
I attended an AH conference in early 2019 and the four speakers all had different perspectives on how they reported the situation and how to deal with it.
When all four were on the podium together for Q&As at the end, they contradicted eachothers' advice - didn't quite come to blows but tension was pretty high! 😲

What I mean is, why are the likes of Pargyle's BKA telling their members to put kill traps out when as you've said that trapping isn't working? You can understand his frustration at putting traps out especially in view of the fact that he is on "The Front Line" only to find the NBU don't have live insects to track. It's daft. One hand and the other spring to mind.
They are not Kill traps ... and they are designed so that other species can escape ... I've had nothing in my trap at home (dead or alive) so far.

Here's the design (or very similar to) we were given at the meeting - we were able to buy all the bits aparr from the PET bottles you need to make them:

http://www.eastdevonbk.co.uk/?page_id=400

They are not Kill traps ... and they are designed so that other species can escape ... I've had nothing in my trap at home (dead or alive) so far.

Here's the design (or very similar to) we were given at the meeting - we were able to buy all the bits aparr from the PET bottles you need to make them:

http://www.eastdevonbk.co.uk/?page_id=400
They may not be kill traps - but how many out there aren't? or for that matter, how many, on finding velutina in their traps would kill them and then call the AH team?

Reading these posts makes the whole set up sound really messy.
I can see that one big problem is the amateur experts out there that are giving out advice, in good faith, that are wrong.
It feels a bit like the covid 19 set up with England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales all doing their own thing.
No one is wrong, but if we all take the same approach we stand more chance.
Do I put traps out? If I catch something should I kill?
Who's advise should I follow?
I am sure there are numerous questions like these however each one should not have numerous answers.
Or am I missing something

Latest posts

Back