AS without queen cells

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frenchbees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
At a recent beekeeping lesson, the instructor split a hive that didn't have any queen cells. 50:50 split of frames, hoped queen in hive in original position. (He didn't actually spot her)
He also created nucs in the same way.
I'm still waiting for evidence of queen cells and more interested in establishing 2 hives than honey production this year. Does this seem like a good way to go.
Also it would be a relief to ease up on the inspections every 4-5 days.
I've just put on a 3rd super as 2nd almost full.

It does work....the possible downside of this way of doing it is that your new queens will be emergency ones...possibly made from slightly older than optimal grubs. These queens will do the job perfectly well, but are often smaller than those from swarm/supercedure cells, and are more likely to be superceded by the colony. Either way, you'll be able to increase...maybe introduce a more suitable queen at your leisure later in the season.

I did wonder about the quality of the new queen.
Changing the queen later at my leisure sounds fine, problem is I've yet to spot her and not confident of being able to in the future.
Think I'll wait a bit longer.

It is far better to split some of the brood in the hive and induce superedure cells, than splitting the colony and awaiting emergency cells.

In this case the queenright part of the split would be evident within a day or two. No rocket science - eggs where queen is and emergency cells in Q- half.

A decent nuc is half a deep brood. Anything smaller for a split like that with a National deep is asking for trouble later IMO. Dadant will be better, as larger. Temperatures may be better in France than UK. It works but is not best practice IMO.

Regards, RAB

If you want increase it would be far better to buy a queen or two. But there is still plenty of time for your bees to make queen cells ... not supering might have done it.

Back