as snug as a bee in a duvet!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of my stuoid bees decided to have a fly around this morning.

Missed the board coming back or just fell in the snow? not too sure as I only noticed when I saw one moving in the snow.By the time I got to the hive, it wasnt moving.
Scooped it up in a tub along with 7 others. Put the tub on the radiator. A few mins later 5 of the 8 were walking about. After a few more mins they were buzzing around in the tub and looking for a way out....

I shook them out of the tub into the air,,,, and off they flew,,,,,, back to the hive? no..... off somewhere else where I suppose they got cold again... pointless waste of time I suppose but it does show to a certain extent that a cold hive is not the problem... If it was very cold in there they probably wouldnt have come out to start with...

silly bee in stead of moving the bees into a shed as a tempory measure i would try to make there area wind proof, so some form of a wind break dont wooy about the cold just try to stop the wind chill.

as for running out of stores, i have a hole in the top of each cover board, around 40mm round and if i wish i sit a upturned jam jar with a fill of fondant in it and being glass i can see if the ladies have emptied it and so i then refill it.

I do very little to the bees at all between november and december as they always have plenty of stores and reasonable winter protection,

I only realy start to check and worry when we get past humbug day as thats when the stores start to get used up the quickest. in which case the jam jar if needed can be exchanged for a boiled pickle egg jam jar that holds several tonnes of fondant.

the duvet and sleeping bag is because i was worried that my tin foil bubble wrap was causing to much condensation in the shed as the shed humidity has risen a lot with the snow and so rather than cause grief.

i removed the top cap of the bubble wrap so the cover board has a 4mm gap all the way around to let the damp air out and the best insulation that I could think of that was warm but air permable was the kids old duvet and sleeping bag .

we will see after humbug if i got it right or wrong?

Boiled pickled eggs..... is that a Midlands delacasy?
Thought you lot in Brum lived on Balti!

Boiled pickled eggs..... is that a Midlands delacasy?
Thought you lot in Brum lived on Balti!

No, we live on Black Pudding and gray pease and bacon bits.

The Black Pudding has become a delicacy amongst the TV Chefs of late.

faggots , now thats proper black country nosh, and pork scratching sandwiches lol.

the pickled egg jars come empty not full, they taste like balls of rubber to me cant stand them, i have loads of differant types of home made pickles and chutneys that i have made and thats what i realy love, as for the bees they got a big dovet because i did not want to sew 5,000 mini bee size duvets ha ha ha

as for the bees they got a big dovet because i did not want to sew 5,000 mini bee size duvets ha ha ha

God, I wish I'd thought of that- I'm halfway through now, and it's taking ages!

Skyhook,

Put zips on the ones you have made so far - the bees zip them together and cover the whole cluster. - Simples:rofl:

God, I wish I'd thought of that- I'm halfway through now, and it's taking ages!

Are you putting their initials on, so they don't get mixed up?? ;)

My wife has just seen this thread, and thinks we're all very silly.

Latest posts

Back