AS and foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itchyhives

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
1 Nat and 1 Nuc
When I have done AS in the past I have always given one half undrawn foundation to draw out. I now have more hives of bees than wanted/needed and plan to re-unite in a few weeks. My question is if I need to AS in the future can I give drawn frames for brood or should I be giving undrawn frames or doesn't it really matter at all?

Only asking as I now have no more undrawn brood foundation and am reluctant to make up more as I should soon have 2 hives empty with drawn frames due to my re-uniting.

it's usual to use foundation in the 'swarm' part, as they'll be expecting to draw comb in new home

Thats what I was thinking that they should have foundation ideally, could I add an undrawn super instead or at least a few super frames then move them?

"They" dinna care and prefer the easy route.

As for super foundation why? think it through... they are not looking to immediately store honey they are looking to support the queen's laying.

PH

Well pre drawn is deffinately easier so alls good, just had it in my head I should be giving them foundation to work on. Thanks

Get organised for next year. All part of routine changing of brood comb. May not account for all, but can be included in the seasonal plan.

Well Rab I thought I was fairly well organised. Gone from 2 hives to 7 and all on pretty much on new frames. Definately none older than a year so dont think I can be held up on that. In the past I always found myself only having undrawn foundation to offer but now having extra drawn frames.

Latest posts

Back