Artificial swarm gone wrong??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitzy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've recently done an artificial swarm but not sure what's happened. The hive was really busy and filling up its second super. There were no QCs, but I decided to do an artificial swarm anyway as there were sooo many bees. I moved the hive a couple of metres away, set a new hive in original position, found the queen, moved it across on a frame and added another frame of brood and a frame of food. Kept a full super on top of the hive. However, when I inspected them a week later, there is no sign of the queen and two capped queen cells. There are still quite a number of bees in the hive, and the two frames were full of brood, so it was difficult to see if there were any eggs and with the other frames being foundation there is no-where else for her to lay:confused:. The other queenless hive still has lots of bees also and had a number of QCs - so that seems to be ok. Could I have upset her so much she decided to swam on me?

most likely she got damaged?

thats not an AS either, its just a split of sorts, your QC's in both boxes now are emergency QC's (poor man's queens at best)

why would you take a well performing hive with 2 supers and do that? bit confused as if you wanted to make increase the time to do it is with proper swarm QC's

JD

Back