are we short of forage

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it's all over :( A great thunderstorm, some rain that actually made things damp, a bit of wind blew through, and then 40 mins later, done. But still clouds so much look at the lunar eclipse via video.

I think we have your share of this lovely weather it is still cracking with thunder in the distance and the rain has just eased of, and we have more to come during the night.. i might sleep in the garden tonight..:rolleyes:

First heavy rain for weeks.... yesterday afternoon and all night. The ground is soaked.... we're getting rain today and Sunday then settled again and warming up through the week. Hopefully nectar flowing again next week although not really stopped yet.

Bliss! Rain!!!! First since beginning of April.

Such a shame it's on the best blood moon lunar eclipse this century, so hidden by clouds.

But it's rain!!!! Almost as good.

Ah! So that's what it is. I had totally forgot. Big drops of water falling from the sky. First time last night at 9.00 - bang on schedule for the association bbq.

Cant complain though. More on the way.

Sudden blossoming of summer flowers to come? Oodles of nectar and pollen? Fingers crossed as always!

Sudden blossoming of summer flowers to come? Oodles of nectar and pollen? Fingers crossed as always![/QUOTE]

Doubtful. I'm slowly reorganising the supers which I'll take of mid-next week and that's that.

Sudden blossoming of summer flowers to come? Oodles of nectar and pollen? Fingers crossed as always!

Doubtful. I'm slowly reorganising the supers which I'll take of mid-next week and that's that.

You might be wise. Although we are into the heather flow here there was a bad smell in an apiary up there this morning. The smell of decay....dead bees all over the short grass. Look closely and all were drones. Those hives are preparing to shut down and the next period of poor weather will trigger it. Where the drone brood was in the hives there is now honey or nothing or the last cells to hatch, and the drone ladder comb is now a honey bridge between the boxes.

The bees don't think there is long to go. Sugar ordered for last week of August as it looks like an early end to the year due to extra early ling flowering.

Might get the first bees off the moors (still not all UP yet!) in time for them to get a late boost from the balsam along the riversides. Have most of our nuc sites near balsam to keep the queens going naturally.

You might be wise. Although we are into the heather flow here there was a bad smell in an apiary up there this morning. The smell of decay....dead bees all over the short grass. Look closely and all were drones. Those hives are preparing to shut down and the next period of poor weather will trigger it. Where the drone brood was in the hives there is now honey or nothing or the last cells to hatch, and the drone ladder comb is now a honey bridge between the boxes.

The bees don't think there is long to go. Sugar ordered for last week of August as it looks like an early end to the year due to extra early ling flowering.

Might get the first bees off the moors (still not all UP yet!) in time for them to get a late boost from the balsam along the riversides. Have most of our nuc sites near balsam to keep the queens going naturally.

Got that smell the other day here too, took a while to figure out what it was, luckily a good drop of rain arrived as ivy buds were at risk of burning up altogether

It's a bit scarey reading about an early close to the Summer - meaning we could have a really long Winter with all of the threats that brings. Also additional feeding issues. Oh well, the Summer was good while it lasted. Certainly don't know what forage is available around here at present. Inspections this weekend will hopefully prove what's occurring.

Still loads of pollen and nectar going in this week round here, think they are getting it from the gladioli field right next door.... trouble is once the pickers have finished they will chop them right down so at the moment they are getting the ones that are too far open to pick but expect them all to be gone next week. Then will have to see if anything else coming in.

Latest posts

Back