are they about to swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark1

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
two weeks ago found a sealed supersedure, decided to leave alone and see what would happen,over the last two day there has been lots of bees outside the hive on the ground and the surrounding vegetation. What does this mean? are they about to swarm, any advice would be welcome.

Probably just collecting water! That's my suggestion! Have you looked under the hive to make sure you haven't got a gathering under the floor!
E

Do the bees look normal? Not trembling/shaking?
If not, maybe heavy nectar flow on and no landing stage to rest on before entering.

the hive is clear underneath, and when I said lots of bees I meant lots, possibly thousands, and they all returned to the hive within 30 mins and it was like nothing happened.

sounds more likely, anyway, back in hive. The bees will sort themselves out. Listen to them. Only step in if problem.

all the bee are out of the hive for the third day either flying around the hive or on the hive, should I be worried

Sounds like mating 'swarm' - bees get a little too excited and follow the queen on her mating flight, realise their mistake and sheepishly return to the hive, hanging about outside for a while queueing to get in and pretending they had planned it all along!

Timing is about right for mating flights, but as you've left them alone since you saw the queen cell you don't know what's been happening in the hive and you don't know for sure that they didn't build any more queen cells.

they swarmed yestaday afternoon, can see the swar but cant get to it as very high up in a tree, another lesson learned.

checked the hive yestaday, still lots of bees and 4 more swarm cells, which i removed, however not much BIAS in any of the frames

Latest posts

Back