Are some poly-hives better than others?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GavB

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Im new....Just thought id ask the question if some poly-hives are better quality than others and what brands are available. :hair pull:

Cheers

I have tried Payne's lyson and maisemores and I find lyson the most dense poly!

Beehive Supplies came out best as far as thermal performance was concerned when DerekM tested a number of hives for his academic paper. You would do worse than to have a look at those.

CVB

:nature-smiley-014:

We run a couple of dozen Beehivesupplies polly Nationals and are easy to use, having somewhat thicker walls than some of the others means that the boxes line up easily without gaps!

Slowly replacing the thin walled WRC boxes!

Yeghes da

So for Langstroths which are better
Sweinty, Paradise, or a.n.other?
And I intend to run with my existing wrc supers as honey supers..

We have some Honey Paw langstroths on trial. They have unnecessarily large handgrips, otherwise seem very satisfactory.

Last edited:
I tried ten paradise nationals and ten Paynes national and found paradise boxes are great for moving around and stack better on pallets with a short floor. Good handholds but only able to fit ten frames with plastic ends which isn't too bad as l run mostly double brood. The Paynes boxes are good but do lack comfortable handholds.The long landing board is a pain when stacking on the truck. Probably two big winners with Paynes boxes are price and compatibility with wooden boxes.

So for Langstroths which are better
Sweinty, Paradise, or a.n.other?
And I intend to run with my existing wrc supers as honey supers..

We prefer Swienty hives to all others but use paradise 6 frame nucs. When Honeypaw make JLS 4 frame nucs we will try them too.

They make four frame langstroth nucs, two of them sit nicely on a standard brood box. Who is JLS when he's at home?:rolleyes:

Nah they wouldn't. Your Cornish Amm's couldn't fill one :) Light as a feather.

I like my Abelo poly hives https://www.abelo.co.uk/

I will second that, i do not need to try any other type of poly as these for me are perfect for my requirements, they are of good density/well made and fit all standard national equipment and come ready painted with unbelievably quick delivery, that is all i will buy from now on thanks to a fellow member for the advice with several years of experience using them.

I will second that, i do not need to try any other type of poly as these for me are perfect for my requirements, they are of good density/well made and fit all standard national equipment and come ready painted with unbelievably quick delivery, that is all i will buy from now on thanks to a fellow member for the advice with several years of experience using them.

what do you do with all the holes in the bodies ?

They make four frame langstroth nucs, two of them sit nicely on a standard brood box. Who is JLS when he's at home?:rolleyes:

I bought one # HP 4 frame Lang nuc, converted it to jumbo and it works very well
# Cheap at Beetradex..

No crownboard - but that is not a problem (for me - it may be for others)

Back