Are my girls trying to Swarm? Supercede? or just teaseing me?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had two queens superseded mid September last year (ie virgin queens emerged then) without problem, going well still. They don't have to fly to DCAs to mate.

I had two queens superseded mid September last year (ie virgin queens emerged then) without problem, going well still. They don't have to fly to DCAs to mate.

Well that's good news as I have left mine to decide what they want to do. They have space to lay and add more stores so I shall leave well alone for the next two weeks and see what happens.

I was a one hive owner not that many years ago. Listened to all the 'experienced' people............... Been there, done it, didn't get the t-shirt, but a drone laying queen!

Maybe you heard but didn't listen, maybe it was something, you as a beginner did wrong rather than the experienced beek? DLQ's happen, it's just one of those things so not a peg you can hang all your convictions on from that date hence

Hi there,

We have seen the same behaviour several times this year but left queen cells in place, worked out 'due dates' and checked them regularly. Each time the bees tore down the queen cells themselves. I have spoken to others who have seen the same this year. I don't think that there are many occasions when removing all queen cells immediately is the answer.

Also - the original post has a lot of abbreviations and assumes we will all know what these mean. As this is the beginners section of the site it will probably help those with less experience if posts are in 'clear English'.

Regards

Ray

I love having colonies that supersede rather than swarm. Reason to be pleased wiht your bees.

Also - the original post has a lot of abbreviations and assumes we will all know what these mean. As this is the beginners section of the site it will probably help those with less experience if posts are in 'clear English'.
QC =Queen Cell
BIAS = Brood In All Stages (i.e. eggs, larvae, sealed brood)
AS = Artificial Swarm, by whatever means you choose.
I love having colonies that supersede rather than swarm. Reason to be pleased wiht your bees.
:iagree:

Thanks Taff. Let the bees do what they do best.

Today I popped down to see how the girls are getting on after leaving them to sort out their QC. The QC was still there as I left it but now cleaned back out so I guess they decided to not bother with a new queen.

My question now is do I now treat with apiguard as was my plan before seeing QC??

The hive has far fewer stores than it did have but plenty of brood. The frames looked as below.

1. drawn stores 1/5 some pollen
2. drawn stores 1/5 some pollen
3. drawn stores 1/3 some pollen
4. drawn stores 1/4 some pollen
5. drawn stores 1/5 pollen 1/2
6. Sealed brood Full
7. BIAS Full
8. BIAS and stores full
9. EGGs and stores (HM seen)
10.drawn Stores 1/2 pollen 1/4
11.drawn Stores 1/2 some pollen

I haven't started feeding yet. Will look again in 7 days to see if stores have increased.

Pleased for you BigAshW and the bees agreed with me - why risk it!

Latest posts

Back