apple blossom tree.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
apple blossom

I currently have a magnificent bramley apple blossom in my garden, but it's being ignored, I suspect because there are fields of oilseed rape up the road. The bees here are currently spoiled for choice

They are not touching my apple trees the fields of Dandelions around here are much more tempting
The fields here looks like we are in the middle of OSR but it's all Dandelion!! a fantastic sight for both beekeeper and bees!!

[

Strange how many people seem to be having their apple blossom ignored, as I inferred in an earlier post, we have OSR, (many hundreds of hectares), in full flower but the bees are still working everything else as well including Bramley apple and other apples.

You really do need to educate your bees about diet.

Chris

I was speaking to an apple grower and beekeeper last night and he commented that the apples need to be in bloom for just over a week before the bees start to forage on it. His unscientific terminology was that the pollen takes a while to develop after the apple blossom first opens.

Blossom in Co. Armagh is at the pink cluster stage - (green cluster has passed) so the full blossom will be out in about a week or so.

this is a picture of the tree that am refering to in this thread,i have been told its an apple blossom but it never produces apples,can this be right and if not what is it please,its only starting to blossom now and i have seen a few bees around it already,would there be getting any nectar off it?
Darren.

Any chance of a close-up? Looks more like some sort of cherry to me, but hard to tell.

It's a cherry I am sure - but nothing wrong with that. Cherry can give a huge amount of nectar (although not all types I think) but I suspect it also needs warm weather to get a flow going.

The lack of cherries could be because it is an ornamental variety or it needs a cross pollinator and there isn't one nearby.

Last edited:
That will be a welcome frenchbees to this ever so friendly forum, but hey, most forums are like that, aren't they?

I agree, perhaps a flowering, (ornamental), cherry and not a fruiting one, cherry either way so no apples.

Chris

my bees wont go near my flowering cherry but it has a fancy head. (lots of petals) and no visible pollen. so im not to suprised.
Your cherry looks like the more simple bloom. so they will love it.

Bees up here are all over my damson. Cherry will be next and then we have 3 apple trees fro them to have a go at. We also put in a quince a couple of years ago, so that may flower for the first time this year.

Dave

Latest posts

Back