Apivar lead time ...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you use it Eric?
Never have, though used Bayvarol once in an emergency.

Started with ApiLifeVar and when numbers grew turned to OA & Sublimox, then ApiBioxal.

The market I attend is London's only organic farmer's market and although fish & honey have dispensation for organic status, customers like to hear that chemicals are not used.

Last edited:
Yes...getting complacent gets you nowhere. I took my eye off the ball in a very big rolling Demaree to their cost. Vaping with supers on now and they have recovered but it could so easily have gone the other way if I had waited till the rest of the hives were done.
I have two colonies on the potting shed roof and Stan won't take the sublimox up there...... still don't like the idea of it though. Maybe I should prod him a little harder...or get up the ladder myself
Be careful!

I think Elaine meant be careful using the ladders :)
As a boy I was sent up the ladder to pick fruit from the high trees. I can still hear my dad's voice from the ground below as the branches bent and the ladder slipped. - " hang onto the ladder, the branches get thicker in the middle of the tree!" We had no time for modern ideas about working at height🙄

As a boy I was sent up the ladder to pick fruit from the high trees. I can still hear my dad's voice from the ground below as the branches bent and the ladder slipped. - " hang onto the ladder, the branches get thicker in the middle of the tree!" We had no time for modern ideas about working at height🙄
My hubbie has a wonky arm from climbing and falling out of a Bramley Apple tree aged 7.

My hubbie has a wonky arm from climbing and falling out of a Bramley Apple tree aged 7.
Should have used a ladder? I approve of the variety though - Bramleys make excellent apple pies and in the right ground produce large fruit known to my family as ovenbusters.

I have an enormous Bramley in the orchard and in some years the other trees produce little while the Bramley is smothered in huge apples that none of the family like much. I always thought the oven busters....like rhubarb was a trick to get as much sugar into your mouth as was possible without actually taking a spoonful of the stuff.

Hi everyone. Hope you're having a good weekend...
I'm using Apivar strips for the first time (can't afford to block the laying Queen) as I try and build up a weak family with a new queen they made for themselves. All is good in terms of brood quality and quantity as well as stores.
The strips have been in for 8 days now and I inspected the previously cleaned and oiled tin bottom. Lots of wax and pollen and a few ants but zero mites. I inspected it for a long time to be sure.
Can anyone tell me how much time the strips take to start working? I know they need to be in there 45-60 days but I was expecting something by now. I must say I've not seen a single mite all year on this colony.
Thanks
Hi everyone. Hope you're having a good weekend...
I'm using Apivar strips for the first time (can't afford to block the laying Queen) as I try and build up a weak family with a new queen they made for themselves. All is good in terms of brood quality and quantity as well as stores.
The strips have been in for 8 days now and I inspected the previously cleaned and oiled tin bottom. Lots of wax and pollen and a few ants but zero mites. I inspected it for a long time to be sure.
Can anyone tell me how much time the strips take to start working? I know they need to be in there 45-60 days but I was expecting something by now. I must say I've not seen a single mite all year on this colony.
Thanks
I'm using Apivar for the first time this year too, I left the inspection boards in and started to see drop after 24 hours. I've just done a full count (just out of interest) on all my hives and the highest was over 600, after 5 days. So it must start working straight away, it will be interesting to see how the counts develop over the 10 weeks.

Latest posts

Back