Apis mellifer iberiensis

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

margob99

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have just been contacted by friends who live in Spain. They were out walking and came across some beehives. No idea what they might have done to disturb the hives but he got stung. 48 times! He is being carefully monitored as he has a heart condition. The wife has been in touch with me to ask if it is possible these bees might be a kind of bee (she called them apis mellifera iberiensis, although I have no idea where she got that from - they are not beekeepers by any means) that sting and do not die; ie the sting does not become detached from the body.

I am trying to keep an open mind although I do wonder what might have really happened, but I do not believe such a bee exists.

Would love to have your comments ...

Allozyme polymorphisms in Spanish honeybees (Apis mellifera iberica).

Smith DR1, Glenn TC.

Author information

Abstract

Earlier studies have shown two types of mitochondrial DNA in Spanish honeybees (Apis mellifera iberica): a western European or A. m. mellifera type, which predominates in northern Spain, and a north African or A. m. intermissa type, which predominates in southern Spain. Adult workers from 28 colonies sampled in northern and southern Spain were surveyed for polymorphisms at eight allozyme loci. Polymorphisms were found in Mdh1 (two alleles) and Pgm (five alleles). Three of the Pgm alleles have not been described previously. The frequencies of Mdh1 alleles in northern and southern samples are significantly different: Mdh1(80) = 0.94 in the north and 0.75 in the south. The frequencies of Pgm alleles in northern and southern samples do not differ significantly. The Hk allele (Hk100) found in all Spanish samples is the same as that found in other European populations. The results are consistent with the presence of a hybrid zone between African and west European honeybee subspecies in the Iberian peninsula or north Africa. The high number and frequency of novel Pgm alleles in the Spanish bees resembles the "rare allele" phenomenon observed in other hybrid populations.

The wife has been in touch with me to ask if it is possible these bees might be a kind of bee that sting and do not die; ie the sting does not become detached from the body.

Surely they're best placed to answer that; Did they not find any sting barbs remaining in her husband's 48 wounds?

closely related to AMM so no surprise there then.

btw Spain is where AMM goes when it gets too cold here :)

every few tens of millenia

From discussion with Dr Maria Pila at BIBBA conference.. I think genetically closer to African than the Amms found here and in most of the Western side of UK

No doubt the Big Bertha of Yorievile will now shower me with grape shot!

#Yeghes da

I have just been contacted by friends who live in Spain. They were out walking and came across some beehives. No idea what they might have done to disturb the hives but he got stung. 48 times! He is being carefully monitored as he has a heart condition. The wife has been in touch with me to ask if it is possible these bees might be a kind of bee (she called them apis mellifera iberiensis, although I have no idea where she got that from - they are not beekeepers by any means) that sting and do not die; ie the sting does not become detached from the body.

I am trying to keep an open mind although I do wonder what might have really happened, but I do not believe such a bee exists.

Highly unlikely, and very much a wild card, because your friends can tell the difference between a bee and a hornet, but there were sightings of Asian Hornets in parts of Spain and north west Portugal last year.

There are maps on the 2nd and 3rd pages of the thread "France vs the Asian Hornet" on the Scottish site. Apologies for the 'tiny url' but the ordinary one is edited by BKF software. http://tinyurl.com/mwuzonp

Back