Apiguard

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GJUK

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi all,

2nd year of bee keeping - I used Apiguard last year, all be it a little late.
Am I okay to treat my bees with the same items this year, I assume it does not 'expire'?

Thanks,

Sorry for the pedantry, but do you mean unfinished trays of apiguard from last year's hives or new sealed trays?
The open ones should have gone in the bin after you took them off last year.
New ones will have an expiry date on them, just check the box.

Sorry for the pedantry, but do you mean unfinished trays of apiguard from last year's hives or new sealed trays?
The open ones should have gone in the bin after you took them off last year.
New ones will have an expiry date on them, just check the box.

Hi,

Ones I have used last year were removed and then binned.

In the opened pack, I have some unused strips which I was planning on using this year - I did not know if by opening them I should have discarded them anyway, even if not used in an hive.

Thanks,

Doesn't sound like apiguard to me if you say strips. Apiguard is like cat food trays? And stays sealed until opened.

Sorry to hi-jack your thread but I've got a similar question.

An ex-beekeeper gave me a bunch of Apiguards. But they expired last month, as I only got my bees recently with no sign of varroa. So didn't use them.
When they expire, do they lose their effectiveness or would they be harmful to the bees?

With most human medicine, expired pills just lose their potency but hardly harmful... just wondering if I should chuck them out or keep them.

Sorry to hi-jack your thread but I've got a similar question.

An ex-beekeeper gave me a bunch of Apiguards. But they expired last month, as I only got my bees recently with no sign of varroa. So didn't use them.
When they expire, do they lose their effectiveness or would they be harmful to the bees?

With most human medicine, expired pills just lose their potency but hardly harmful... just wondering if I should chuck them out or keep them.

Expiry is part of the Licencing process and based on storage in the advised manner. It will degrade quicker in extremes of temperatures or with large fluctuations. If it is expired and you record it in your records as such then effectively you are using it "off licence" which only becomes an issue of trading standards take offence.
You would assume the risk and have no comeback against the manufacturer for problems that resul even if they are unlikely with it being a month too old.

Having said that most on here seem to be preferring unlicensed OA vaping so......

It is up to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I only got my bees recently with no sign of varroa.

If they are bees, they have varroa. They are in the brood or hide between the segments of the bees. They are difficult to see. Read up on the sugar shake method and do that to get a number you can use to evaluate your bees.

Back