Apiguard

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.vita-europe.com/wp-content/uploads/Apiguard.pdf

7. Q: Can I feed my colonies whilst using Apiguard?
A: Yes and No. The recommendation is not to apply Apiguard whilst feeding simultaneously in
case the bees spend all their time taking the feed and not bothering to clean out the Apiguard gel.
This is not a high risk and will vary between different colonies so if you have to feed and treat at
the same time, try it in a few colonies first and see how the bees react.

Need to apply apiguard this weekend. Never done it before and not sure how it's best to do it. Any advise?

Need to apply apiguard this weekend. Never done it before and not sure how it's best to do it. Any advise?

Make an eke - Just a square the dimensions of a hive out of bits of 2x1" timber and put this on top of your brood box - this gives you sufficient space for the trays, air circulation and to ensure the bees can easily get at the apiguard put the apiguard tray (open side up) on top of the top bars then close up, put in the inspection tray but don't close it all the way - leave the tray out a couple of inches, in a fortnight, go back in, put in the second tray - if there's any left over in the first tray, leave both in the hive. Close up again and wait a further fortnight.
The apiguard needs to be towards the top of the colony, more important than the 'fumes' getting everywhere is the fact that the bees, hating the presence of Apiguard will try and remove the jelly, in doing so they will spread it throughout the colony so it needs to be as far away from the entrance as possible.

Make an eke - Just a square the dimensions of a hive out of bits of 2x1" timber and put this on top of your brood box - this gives you sufficient space for the trays, air circulation and to ensure the bees can easily get at the apiguard put the apiguard tray (open side up) on top of the top bars then close up, put in the inspection tray but don't close it all the way - leave the tray out a couple of inches, in a fortnight, go back in, put in the second tray - if there's any left over in the first tray, leave both in the hive. Close up again and wait a further fortnight.
The apiguard needs to be towards the top of the colony, more important than the 'fumes' getting everywhere is the fact that the bees, hating the presence of Apiguard will try and remove the jelly, in doing so they will spread it throughout the colony so it needs to be as far away from the entrance as possible.

Thanks for that. Not sure what you mean there though. Can you explain?

Splendidly articulated Mr Jenkins:cool: However in the past, I found the manufacturers information to be helpful. Perhaps the substance is also efficacious in treating other parasites?
I see from the Norwegian weather forecast there is heavy rain and lots of it heading towards Wales; commiserations, what a shame. Do have a nice weekend.
Are you entering the National Honey Show? I shall take a trip over and have a look, nice to have it beside a racetrack this year, one will immediately feel at home.:rolleyes:

This direction was recommended a year or two ago, I think it's to avoid problems with too much build up of thymol fumes inside the hive which was causing excessive bearding on the outside. I think it was a recommendation by the manufacturers To be honest, I can't remember any more details at the moment - having gone away from using Apiguard for varroa control.

Back