Spring Mite treatment.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossbyjove

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
ONE
Just transferred a small colony into a nuc.
They were trearted with Apiguard in the autumn and vaped with Oxalic at the end/start of the year.
Should I be thinking of any treatment now ?

Under normal circumstances I’d suggest with a winter treatment they should be good for the season… that’s pretty much the point of a winter treatment. However is there a reason they are still small? I was moving nucs into hives not the other way around.
By the sound of it you have the vape equipment so you could vape and check the drop, there is occasionally 1 that sneaks through and a lack of development in the Spring is worth checking out!

Under normal circumstances I’d suggest with a winter treatment they should be good for the season… that’s pretty much the point of a winter treatment. However is there a reason they are still small? I was moving nucs into hives not the other way around.
By the sound of it you have the vape equipment so you could vape and check the drop, there is occasionally 1 that sneaks through and a lack of development in the Spring is worth checking out!
It was always a small colony had trouble with Queens.
It was a cast swarm and I spoke to the woman that gave them to me at the last club meeting and she said she had trouble with Queens last year.,
Maybe just bad genetics.
There is BIAS.
Really very little pollen going in at the moment.
The guy at the apiary said put them in a Nuc, save them trying to heat a large space.
They have everything they need apart from pollen.
Just hope the weather picks up, had about 3 days of sunshine so far this year !

I treat with menthol for tracheal mites and Apivar for varroa mites every spring.
A lot if people use thymol here in U.K. so we don’t get tracheal mite. Not many do a spring treatment. Autumn treatment after harvest ensures healthy winter bees with a low varroa burden.

Latest posts

Back