Apiguard

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikeb123

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have a half full super on top at present. I'm going to start apiguard treatment tomorrow. Do most in this situation treat on top of the super and put the super underneath for winter after treatment or put the super underneath first then treat on top of the bb?
I was going to use MAQs but am now worried about the time of year and the possibility of the queen dying an the effects after.

Preference 1 use MAQS
Preference 2 remove super, treat and replace super underneath
Preference 3 put super under bb and treat on top of bb but mark super and frames as tainted for at least a year!
E

mark super and frames as tainted for at least a year!
E

Why? had supers on four hives during apiguard treatment last year - they weren't 'tainted' in the spring - neither was the honey I extracted from them in July

Thanks E. Going back on my word again now haha, been looking at all the info and advise, I'm going to give MAQS a try on my larger colony (less hassle regarding the super) and apiguard on my nuc as I have some left over.

I put the super at the bottom in Autumn last year, then treated. In Spring the super was empty, and I couldn't detect any smell. I used it as normal after that, they filled it with honey and it tasted fine to all of us.

Will probably do more of that this year.

Last edited:
Why? had supers on four hives during apiguard treatment last year - they weren't 'tainted' in the spring - neither was the honey I extracted from them in July

Hi JBM - out of interest, did these supers stay on the hives over winter or were they kept in the shed?

I have noticed that apiguard tainted supers that are stored in the shed are still smelly in the spring, whereas those that stay on the hive are not. Perhaps it's something to do with all those busy housekeeping bees!

Hi JBM - out of interest, did these supers stay on the hives over winter or were they kept in the shed?

I have noticed that apiguard tainted supers that are stored in the shed are still smelly in the spring, whereas those that stay on the hive are not. Perhaps it's something to do with all those busy housekeeping bees!

The supers stayed with the hives over winter.

Should the forum not follow manufacturers instructions on issues like these?

also the instructions are based on a bigger hive, thus should we just not use apiguard at all, reduce by x percent (is it a dadant, commercial, WBC, smith, 14x12, langstroth or what :hairpull:)Maybe thinking would be better - a super on the hive would make it more of the volume a tray was designed for and the instructions are there so the honey doesn't get tainted - nothing more.

Last edited:
I am interested in this thread as have started treatment after removing all honey supers. Having extracted them is it now safe to put wet supers back on for clearing or will they become tainted?

Latest posts

Back