Apiguard & Queen gone off the lay

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Can the application of Apiguard put a Queen off laying? She was laying well two weeks ago when put on first tray of Apiguard. Today adding the second tray I noted only a dismal few eggs and little else. Brood box full to capacity with bees and laying area filled with nectar. An eek (to accommodate apiguard) separates this B.Box from overhead super (no Q excluder) with nary a bee despite the crowding below. Not looking good for winter bees – Should I replace her (this summer Queen) or wait until Apiguard comes off (Two weeks). Will they move the nectar in the brood area if she recommences activity? Is feeding likely to start her off again? Any advice welcome as this is our prime colony.

Queens will often go off lay for a few weeks at the end of the season. Apiguard can also put her off her lay. she'll probably start to lay when the apiguard nears the end.

Yes. This happened me last year as soon as the apiguard went on - Queen stopped laying and brood in all stages pulled from cells. I only needed to use one tray as there was no sealed brood as a result. The same colony this year was very strong. Don't panic i hear it happens .

Last edited:
Spike,
Yes, it's a well observed side effect of Apiguard but only for the first couple of weeks

richard

Some bees are still into supercedure even this late (I have a hive like that) and it is therefore not a good time imo to apply any varroa treatment until the new queen has done her stuff. The weather forecasts suggest that we could be in for a fine and warm autumn which will probably leave time for Apiguard in particular to be applied somewhat later than normal. Your choice.

Latest posts

Back