Apiguard prices

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROACHMAN

House Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
50+
I need to buy a large tub, seems to be about £90+ at the main supliers.

Does anyone know of a cheaper supplier ?

These shops must be buying it in from Vita for around £30 - £40 a tub !

Its about time medications for diseases such as varroa are subsidised by the Goverment like they are in other European countries.

...subsidised by the Goverment like they are in other European countries.
Is the same product much cheaper on the continent? Worth ordering from France?

C Wynne £71.67 plus vat

I need to buy a large tub, seems to be about £90+ at the main supliers.

Does anyone know of a cheaper supplier ?

These shops must be buying it in from Vita for around £30 - £40 a tub !

Its about time medications for diseases such as varroa are subsidised by the Goverment like they are in other European countries.

high prices for products that arent 100% effective and that might be selecting for virulent varroa...

I use the thymol , but not the rape seed oil. Plenty of info on the net (or was when I sorted my system).

I put here to compare prices with Honey Paw Co in Finland

Thymol pad 12g /Langstroth box 2,20 €

Thymol pad 17g / 2 medium boxes 3,00 €

( Honeypaws thymol pads are some kind of standard here)

Mere thymol 300g package 30,00

Thymol over 1 kg amount, 54,00/ kg

http://hoitajat.mesimestari.fi/Hinnasto.php

So you may make your of pads 1000 g/ 12 =80 pads

price DIY = 54/80= 70 cents per pad.

( one company made too pads, but it put too small dosage of thymol, and it did not kill the mites)

Last edited:
...Thymol over 1 kg amount, 54,00/ kg ...

So you may make your of pads 1000 g/ 12 =80 pads

price DIY = 54/80= 70 cents per pad.

How many pads do Honeypaw suggest for a hive treatment? From a previous thread: "Apilife Var has 8g of thymol per strip and the suggested dose is 4 strips at weekly intervals per hive. That would be 32g of thymol total. Apiguard has 12.5g of thymol per 50g gel dose or 25g at 2 doses per hive. Thymovar is 15g thymol, 2 applications in one box is 30g." The DIY Hivemaker suggestion from the sticky is around 8 g per dose (made by weight distributed by volume), 3 doses at 2 week intervals or about 24 g per hive.

The treatment range is 24-32 g per hive so a kg would cover 30-40 hives. At 54 Euros per kg, the active ingredients for DIY versions should come in at 1.3 to 1.8 Euros per hive. Or in UK using the CWJ price for a kg (30.67 pounds plus VAT - 36.80) would be in the 90 to 120 p range (plus delivery and oasis pads if used etc).

Compare with apiguard at 3 to 5 pounds per hive depending on packaging and source.

I use Hivemaker's recipe.. being mean...

Latest posts

Back