Apideas

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewart carnan

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I am finding that the bees are sticking to the fondant when feeding in the apideas I have tried using kitchen roll and bits of queen excluders with some success however some bees are still getting stuck has anyone got a way of stopping the bees from sticking.

Put some white granulated sugar in a bucket/bowl and roll/knead the fondant in that just before using it to fill the mini nucs, sprinkle some more on top if it is still too moist.

Put some white granulated sugar in a bucket/bowl and roll/knead the fondant in that just before using it to fill the mini nucs, sprinkle some more on top if it is still too moist.

Is it best to feed fondant or syrup in mating nucs?

If you have to insert the bees through the bottom -Apidea/Kieler- then syrup is rather inconvenient !! when you invert the mini nuc. I always use fondant wrapped in greaseproof paper: easier to handle, keeps the feeder clean and keeps bees away from sticky fondant.

The frames will be drawn quicker if syrup is fed. We like to use queen cage candy in preference to fondant.
But of course it is for the individual to decide what to use, there are options.

Is it best to feed fondant or syrup in mating nucs?

We only use bako fondant in all of our various types of mini nucs, from the small Swi-bines to the larger wooden ones, which hold over 1kg of fondant in the feed compartment (nearer two, so less topping up needed) they draw foundation rapidly just using fondant, and much more convenient to use for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
What is bee cage candy?

Mix icing sugar with your OWN honey to get as stiff a mix as you can. If honey is not available, inverted syrup may be used - but not as good. Heat the honey and icing sugar, this makes it easier to mix, then knead like dough.
Ideally it should have a few days to mature (enzymes at work). Ordinary fondant/candy goes hard, but queen cage candy remains soft. That is why it is used in queen cages as a type of self release.

Thanks for your ideas the granulated sugar is one I will try.

Latest posts

Back