Apiary security

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjtsmith

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am in the process of organising my first apiary. I have heard many stories about hives getting stolen in the dead of night. Can any of you share some of your experiences of this, and suggest what I might do to minimise the chances - other than the obvious one of siting the apriary where no-one knows where it is?

Hope I am not posting in the wrong place, but that section seems to be mostly about actual thefts that have occurred. I will check it out anyway. Thanks.

so....what measures, if any, do others use to beef up security? We have ours at our allotment so although there are gates etc a determined thief could get in. Apart from a rabid dog chained to the hive what sensible precautions can we take?

I've gone on the basis that anyone who can get s hive full if bees over the 7-8ft fence at the allotment has sort if earned them :)

I'm far more worried about vandalism. I just ratchet strap mine onto the stands to resist being toppled over and generally rely on security through obscurity rather than any firm preventative measures.

I've gone on the basis that anyone who can get s hive full if bees over the 7-8ft fence at the allotment has sort if earned them :)
hmmm, ownership of bolt cutters and/or industrial wire cutters doesn't entitle anyone to my hives!

There's plenty you can do. Here are few off the top of my head...
Make sure all your hive parts (including frames) are marked.
Make sure your apiary is not easily visible from any roads or footpaths.
Make sure it's not easily accessible - i.e make sure gates are locked etc.
Hang bells and windchimes on hive stands (may sound silly - but theives don't like to make a lot of noise).
Fence off your apiary with barbed wire if possible.
Put up some guard dog signs.

My bees are on beans and within sight of a road (at least within sight if the driver is being REALLY nosey!). I've put a length of camo netting about 4 yds in front of the hives, an draped offcuts of camo netting over each hive. When I drive past, I keep thinking they have been stolen (which they haven't!), so it seems to work!

hmmm, ownership of bolt cutters and/or industrial wire cutters doesn't entitle anyone to my hives!

On that basis why use anything? Any theft deterrent is simply a cost vs benefit measure anyway.

If they're bringing the kit to get through the fences/gates then there's nothing practical or affordable I can do to stop them taking the hives.

Love the idea of the camo netting! Minimal cost and if it can fool the man who put it there....... :)

I'm afraid to say that if someone wants them , they'll have them.
mark and initial everything with indelible ink.
not had much theft myself but i do think most years some people look in my hives and on the odd occasion i think a queen has been taken, as between inspections certain cenarios dont compute, but then again i have some nasty buggers of which would probably be returned the next week .

try the video section for hive security videos or go to you tube and type in hedgerow pete i have done five of them.

the bebst realy practical way to prevent thieft is make sure the buggers cant walk off with them so try a concrete hive base

Video's on here have been removed ! (I'll look on u tube)

Some one on the forum ( I think it could be Hivemaker sorry if thats wrong ) uses a double hive stand and screws his floors to it

I am in the process of organising my first apiary. I have heard many stories about hives getting stolen in the dead of night. Can any of you share some of your experiences of this, and suggest what I might do to minimise the chances - other than the obvious one of siting the apriary where no-one knows where it is?

We have had a couple of thefts amongst our association members. One didn't take the hives, just the bees - which clearly was by someone who knows what they are doing.
I have just bought a branding iron - Weller for woodburning crafts and am in the process of branding all my hives with a bit of decoration and my initials. They will always then be recognisable - but short of branding all the bees or putting collars on them all :smilielol5:- I can't think how you keep the bees themselves from theft!
Louise

We have had a couple of thefts amongst our association members. One didn't take the hives, just the bees - which clearly was by someone who knows what they are doing.
I have just bought a branding iron - Weller for woodburning crafts and am in the process of branding all my hives with a bit of decoration and my initials. They will always then be recognisable - but short of branding all the bees or putting collars on them all :smilielol5:- I can't think how you keep the bees themselves from theft!
Louise

I have all mine microchipped. Got a special offer down at the vets. Well worth the hassle...

Latest posts

Back