remote security monitoring options

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
The area where we currently have our hives is due to be developed and we have been looking for alternative sites. We have been offered a lovely site by a farmer to use as an apiary.

The only potential downside is that our two current locations are very secure, and we have never worried about theft or vandalism, however this site will be visible from the road and it is not within sight of any houses or buildings. It is about 100m from the vehicle access gate.

Does anybody know of a 3G/4G battery operated camera that could alert us to intruders.

A Ring camera would be ideal except for the fact there is no local WiFi and Ring don't make a 3G/G4 camera.

What do others do with similar situations, and do you think we are worrying unnecessarily.

Thanks

The area where we currently have our hives is due to be developed and we have been looking for alternative sites. We have been offered a lovely site by a farmer to use as an apiary.

The only potential downside is that our two current locations are very secure, and we have never worried about theft or vandalism, however this site will be visible from the road and it is not within sight of any houses or buildings. It is about 100m from the vehicle access gate.

Does anybody know of a 3G/4G battery operated camera that could alert us to intruders.

A Ring camera would be ideal except for the fact there is no local WiFi and Ring don't make a 3G/G4 camera.

What do others do with similar situations, and do you think we are worrying unnecessarily.

Thanks
Post #5
Remote monitoring

Security is my number one concern and personally I would look for a safer site. Beehives are likely to be stolen at night by someone wearing a veil. Cameras would give you pictures at that time /clothing that would likely be pretty useless for identifying the suspects. Unless you were close by you will have lost them by the time you get there.

Last edited:
Security is my number one concern and personally I would look for a safer site. Beehives are likely to be stolen at night by someone wearing a veil. Cameras would give you pictures at that time /clothing that would likely be pretty useless for identifying the suspects. Unless you were close by you will have lost them by the time you get there.
I would not have considered the veil. It would indeed make identification near impossible.

To the OP, most of the pollination guys in California brand their equipment similar to old-school branding of cattle. This does nothing about vandalism, but makes the equipment easy to identify if stolen (and then recovered).

I’ve wondered if a lo-Jack or similar device could be implanted into a hive that broadcasts its position once every hour. May not be cost effective and still doesn’t address vandals.

Latest posts

Back