Apiary rental price - what is a reasonable amount?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have actually been asked NOT to pay a years rent as the landowners were still working through the previous years payment of some 40 jars of Heather.

One pound can seem mean but as I posted earlier it can mount up.

PH

One of my friends father used to have many hives as a living and used to receive £50 per hive to move them into orchards etc. This was many years ago, how things have changed.

Yeah thats what my dad did years ago but now he says the orchard owners have what they call a pollenisation tree (s) in the middle of the orchard,

tbh not sure what that means but i get the impression it replaces the bees or something - or he has got the wrong end of the stick or i totally misunderstood what he said

Yeah thats what my dad did years ago but now he says the orchard owners have what they call a pollenisation tree (s) in the middle of the orchard,

tbh not sure what that means but i get the impression it replaces the bees or something - or he has got the wrong end of the stick or i totally misunderstood what he said

Sounds like an apple orchard that needs another type of pollen to pollenate the crop trees. Although they still need insects, bees in particular to get the pollen from tree A to Tree B.

Actually, I dont pay anything for my apiary site, but I have other dealings with the landowners and I'm quite generous there. - Honest!

I know 1 jar of honey per hive is the standard payment, but it just seems a little mean. However, I suppose if you have 10 hives and give 10 jars of honey that equates to £50-£60 which is reasonable I guess.

Is there a market in pollination? I know it's big in america, not seen so much about it here.

The going rate per hive is about £49 the bee farmers have a pollination secretary who coordinates for their members

where i used to live near evesham, worcestershire way

there is still a lot of very big apple orchards where people do still get paided for pollination as its worth it, but i dont know what they charge in todays money as for paying rent

On the four out apiaries we set up this time last year the rent was set on an area of the apairy so we were paying roughly £100 per year per spot, plus we would also throw in a bottle of booze at christmas time and a jar of honey or ten, but we were set up to stay so the contract we wrote up was for ten years use of the farmers 10 metre wild life edge to his field, we have also relaided his hedge and replanted several hundred new black thorn saplings for him!! (for our protection not his)

this solves several problems one we get to set up a long term out apairy and we also know where and what we stand by, and considering we have 50 hives in each arae with a massive 1,000 Hectares of osr and beans and next year sunflowers, flax and of course wild flowers we reckon that was a cheap deal for us.

now fair enough one or two hives only realy justify say £5 or £10 per year per hive but the avalibility of numbers does work in our favour, what realy swings it is what is the bee forage like for the ladies to work on

the simple basic idea of tree polination is that the apple tree(A) gets some pollen from another tree (B) (C) but to get the best crop we need to get fretalized from several sources the more the better and some trees preffere to get fertilized from certain other trees, thats why apple orchards always have a crab apple in the hedgerows or near by, but we still need to shift all this fertilisation and thats where the bee's come in

Latest posts

Back