Apiary died over winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shhhhhh
Don't let on that bees can survive on their own in trees without treatment, then survive in your hive without treatment. If people realize the truth in that, there won't be any money for breeders and other snake oil sellers............
Repeat after me - bees need humans and lots of money
I agree fully, but it is more serious than that. If we don't breed for VSH bees. we will have bees that will have to endure more and more chemicals as the varroa develops immunity to those chemicals

shhhhhh
Don't let on that bees can survive on their own in trees without treatment, then survive in your hive without treatment. If people realize the truth in that, there won't be any money for breeders and other snake oil sellers............
Repeat after me - bees need humans and lots of money
Don’t keep quiet about it, there must be a mile long line outside your door of researchers with grants vying for your attention. And as for breeders working for years on vsh, let them in on the secret. Your surely likely to become a very rich man in short order. Be sure to come and tell us all when the first million rolls in.

I appreciate all the replies.

The boxes and frames are all inside now. I'm lucky that the office where I work is on the same farm as my apiary so they are all in here with me and wax moth shouldn't be an issue. If all goes well I'll have my new bees next month and can restart.
Wax moth can get inside too.
They have had no problem getting into my garage!

October was still very warm down here in south Kent. I left it late as I was holding out for a summer crop which never came. Looks like I should have just cut my losses earlier and got on with treatment.

If I do rebuild then at least I won't make that mistake again I suppose.

Not nice to know they all died because of my mistake though.
Did you not use oxalic early January? That would have done for most of the varroa if only a single treatment. A second go would be even better.

Latest posts

Back