Api life for a swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thekayakcoach

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, sorry if this is a really stupid question, quite new to all this.

A friend has collected a swarm for me that I'm picking up Thursday night. It has been suggested that I treat them with api life straight away. I know nothing about the history of the swarm.

What do you think?

the buzz

:hurray:any treatment is good for sworms voroa bread on the brood nock it now befor you get brood and your half way there!

Last edited:
Oxalic - definitely not a thymol based product as it takes too long for the full treatment routine to be effective. Oxalic quicker and easier.

Perhaps not a thymol based product, but when I use thymol (not as part of a product, I would add) the mites are knocked down fairly smartish. No need for six weeks treatment when they are nearly all dead very early on. Few phoretic mites (and none in any brood reproducing) means a low varroa count in double quick time.

RAB

DONT do as a local newbie beek did .,,,,, sprinkle NEAT Oxalic acid onto bees.... got confused with icing sugar!!!!!

Oxalic acid/syrup trickling in a traetment intended for the winter and when bees are clustering; you are not going to get the same results by treating a swarm in the same way.

Oxalic acid/syrup trickling in a traetment intended for the winter and when bees are clustering; you are not going to get the same results by treating a swarm in the same way.

Trickling is very good and easy to handle swarm. Handling has nothing to do with cluster.

You may treat with 3% water-oxalic spray. Bees are sprayed on each side of frame.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your help and advise. The swarm have settled and all seems well.

Latest posts

Back