Anyone tried, seen, touched the poly hive from maisemore

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't it abelo that has that split bee space?
My swientys are pushed together and not glued, they are sturdy enough as they are.

Thank you, LB - pity about the raised lip on those

PS - yes, same problem as with Paradise Beeboxes: incompatible with other hives.

Last edited:
Abelo's are claiming a density of 160g/litre for their polystyrene. If that is accurate, then their hives are the densest and strongest available.

Kind of misses the point really going as dense as that.

100g per litre is plenty strong enough, and as density increases you lose the insulation value.

However, with the casting type process it seems to need to go denser to be strong enough. I would accept it that they will be the densest, but not really accept they would be the strongest. That process generally makes the material quite brittle.

Last edited:
Ok point taken. I was thinking of hardness and resistance to wear. Interesting post by the way, plastic/injection moulding is a subject about which I know but little.

It's a box..............you keep bees in .............
Never worked a poly hive before so may buy a couple to try as you can't knock anything until youve tried it....unless your Finnish , in which case what I do is the best and everything else is a waste of time !

It's a box..............you keep bees in .............
Never worked a poly hive before so may buy a couple to try as you can't knock anything until youve tried it....unless your Finnish , in which case what I do is the best and everything else is a waste of time !

Well, as a keeper of around 1500 poly hives, I strongly recommend going for a maker (and most are) of compatible gear. A Langstroth is a top bee space hive with flush edges...a Smith too...........and a National is in most cases a bottom bee space hive with flush edges.

Keep to that and you have a choice of makers. Go to a one maker variant and you can have issues in the future if you want to have more.

It will function as a runner, so what bothers you about it? Once you've cut it away, how will you replace it?

Put a metal or plastic runner pinned to the side. Same as in the Paynes nucs. You could go a little better and cut a slot even like they have in their broods and supers.

the brood box only just fits that extra frame in with a fair bit of force

Do you mean the 12th with hoffman frames? I somehow doubt there is sufficient bee space in that scenario, so better to run with 11 plus a dummy board? But there are slightly narrower examples if you search around.
Yes. Exactly. Always feel that if you can have the space then use it. It only takes a few mins to sand out a small amount with an electric sander. Never got on with dummy boards. Everyone to their own:)

It will function as a runner, so what bothers you about it? Once you've cut it away, how will you replace it?
A poly runner almost certainly will have the frame glued to it. I only take one frame out then slide the rest and depending on the colony they may be left if all seems finenfor a couple of months. Propper stuck then. Its pretty hard to move on metal frames but on a poly bump? Yes of course you can vaseline them but you do know when your honey goes in for testing, they check for petroleum jelly! Before anyone replies with"they dont" trust me, after a long conversation with trading standards they most certainly do.

My honey was 100% by the way. Just got trouble with a not so close neighbour reporting everything he can ref bees to local counci, food hygene, trading standardsl and nbu! Everything I have done with where the bees are to where they crap is 100% also. It might have something to do with now having a 2acre garden with a river! He might read this?. I suggest you move as the bees were there long before you and will be there long after!
Sorry. Off topic:)

Yes. Exactly. Always feel that if you can have the space then use it. It only takes a few mins to sand out a small amount with an electric sander. Never got on with dummy boards. Everyone to their own:)

not really - the box is designed for 11 not 12 - the extra bit is more than just handy for when the bees start making things tighter.
If you have the space then use it - to make manipulation easier and avoid winding up the bees

not really - the box is designed for 11 not 12 - the extra bit is more than just handy for when the bees start making things tighter.
If you have the space then use it - to make manipulation easier and avoid winding up the bees

Everyone to their own of course and yes, they were designed for 11 frames not 12. As to winding the bees up, they really are lovely mild mannered bees and even the odd boxes where 12 frames are squeezed in they really dont mind, or maybe its just the way I treat them....... maybe? Who knows. Coming into my 6th year with never a winter loss and only ever one angry colony which flew in! Spoke too soon :) Its a very happy colony now and on 12 frames:-D

Put a metal or plastic runner pinned to the side. Same as in the Paynes nucs. You could go a little better and cut a slot even like they have in their broods and supers.
Too much of a kerfuffle, and I can see the only outcome will be a botched job. I don't think this Maisiemore hive is for you!

I have just got back from Maisemore with a boot full of poly hive parts. The only problem I see with them is entrance block which will need to be replaced with something more substantial.

I have just got back from Maisemore with a boot full of poly hive parts. The only problem I see with them is entrance block which will need to be replaced with something more substantial.

Let us know how you get on would you? Pop some good pictures up maybe?

Too much of a kerfuffle, and I can see the only outcome will be a botched job. I don't think this Maisiemore hive is for you!

Really? There is a lot more kerfuffle in filling moulding marks etc on a Paynes poly of which I have 20+ It really will be super easy and most certainly not a botch job to remove....if needed the poly bump runner that probably wont run:) Like I say, if needed. It might work great. Dont not let me have one:'-(

Latest posts

Back