Maisemore Poly Hive Modifications

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

felixflyer

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
So I bought a wooden national standard for my first hive but found out the nuc I ordered was 14x12 so I bought a Maisemore Poly 14x12.

The bees arrived yesterday and in a nuc which I will be transferring at the weekend.

My question is are there any mods to the maisemore hive that I need to do? The queen excluder is a flat plastic one and i'm thinking of using the wooden and metal one from my other hive. The crown board is just a plastic sheet and I was thinking of using the crown board from the wooden one too.

In terms of feeding if I need to what is the preferred method for the maisemore hive? Also do I need a dummy board as I only have 11 frames in each (Brood and 2 supers).

What is thought of as the best way to support these poly hives and keep them from blowing over?

This is my first time so any advice appreciated.

Regards

You can use the crown board and queen excluders you had or the maismore poly ones, both do the same job.
Feeding wise I like to have a contact feeder that fits in a super as an eke and their own poly feeder is good for getting a lot into them quickly,
i run 12 frames in my maismore brood boxes.
Vaseline the box edges and the area where the runners sit, same for the floor( especially the entrance reducer)
Blowing over is rarely an issue( and where i am is as windy as it gets). Roofs being blown off more so. Use the strap provided to strap the hive to the stand. I switch to ratchet straps for winter but some of my apiaries will see a dozen days of >70mph winds at ground level each winter.

First thing you should do is paint the exterior of the hive if you haven't already done so. Masonry paint is the usual recommendation but I used a solvent based paint last time which gives a more durable finish.

Thanks guys

I've painted it already with Sandtex.

I'll add vaseline and secure it with a strap and block. Just going to sit it on a pallet on slabs.

Back