Any swarm success

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any time now! did first AS this weekend and another member had his swarm on him here in canterbury...

Not heard of any around here yet. Bait hive is set up - need to add lure at the weekend though. Weather set to be colder than average for time of year for another week or so. Activity in the apiary has slowed down...

8 degrees and rained all day today. No swarms but thank goodness for that -I dont want bonkers bees.

8 degrees and rained all day today. No swarms but thank goodness for that -I dont want bonkers bees.

Why bonker bees? Yes please for swarms. I have a wonder penthouse ready with free rent for 1 year. All bills included.

Why bonker bees? Yes please for swarms. I have a wonder penthouse ready with free rent for 1 year. All bills included.
Must be bonkers to fly in this weather.

picked up a small swarm, enough 2 cover 2 frames maybe.
Parent colony behind an air brick, void does not appear to be very big, resident believes it has been there for years.

Must be bonkers to fly in this weather.

Popped up to the allotment today to water plants in the greenhouse and close down the roof vents a bit.
It was P'ing it down but the bees were still flying in numbers

First swarm of the season. Raining all morning then 1/2hr after the sun comes out they fly over onto neighbour garden wall next to their shed. I put one of my nucs withoiut a floor over the top and when checked this evening all was in so put it on a temporary floor.
Swarm on wall 1.jpg

swarm in wall 2.jpg

swarm on wall 3.jpg

First swarm of the season. Raining all morning then 1/2hr after the sun comes out they fly over onto neighbour garden wall next to their shed. I put one of my nucs withoiut a floor over the top and when checked this evening all was in so put it on a temporary floor.
View attachment 15464

View attachment 15465

View attachment 15466

Very nice.

Wouldn't surprise me to see a few more this weekend with the weather. Really need to get a few bait hives out.

Very nice.

Wouldn't surprise me to see a few more this weekend with the weather. Really need to get a few bait hives out.

Mine are out but I bet cobwebbed up after this spell. I agree, it will go nuts; you know a lot of inspections have been skipped and good colonies have been building well despite the weather, which is now set fair for a week here. Bring it on!

Very nice.

Weelll, let’s think about that! They are certainly not going to get less, in total, are they? So you are fairly safe with that post

Mine are out but I bet cobwebbed up after this spell. I agree, it will go nuts; you know a lot of inspections have been skipped and good colonies have been building well despite the weather, which is now set fair for a week here. Bring it on!
I am in exactly the same boat, mine have not been inspected since before last years Autumn feed, i have no idea what to expect when i finally get them opened up, bait hive wise i need to check the ones that i have out for wasp nests before they get too big.

I am in exactly the same boat, mine have not been inspected since before last years Autumn feed, i have no idea what to expect when i finally get them opened up, bait hive wise i need to check the ones that i have out for wasp nests before they get too big.
Come to papa.

Are you swarm catchers planning on using any you "catch" as are? Or re-queening?
If I'm unfortunate enough to have to go collect a swarm the first thing I do is make sure I locate it as far away from my apiary as I can (disease quarantine). Then it's an immediate Oxalic acid treat (Apibioxal), followed by re-queen ASAP.
Reason I do the re-queening is generally the queen with a swarm is old, the bees have already demonstrated a trait that I don't like (swarming) and if they are locals from my area they are going to be vicious, nasty and non productive.
All in all I don't like collecting swarms as they involve a lot of work to generate a decent colony...it's work that I don't need at what is always a busy time of the year.
Alas I will be called out several times and my good nature will mean I will head out and collect a few during the season and hoping like hell I can give them away before they cause me any extra work.

I can understand people wanting "free bees", but a little more thought might suggest these are not always the gift horse you think they are.

I can understand people wanting "free bees", but a little more thought might suggest these are not always the gift horse you think they are.

Yeah I'm kind of kidding, TBH. Disease is the dominant consideration and I will put any I get out to the Association swarm list. So why do it? Because it is SO COOL having them come in and I am not over it yet. And one year I was in real trouble in early June. I caught a swarm that saved my season AND had the most wonderful characteristics. So it can be a real help.

Last edited:
Are you swarm catchers planning on using any you "catch" as are? Or re-queening?

I only bait hive and wouldn't collect a swarm unless it was as a personal favour.

Swarms would piss off my hitherto generous landlord so it's a way of avoiding that.

You're right, pound for pound they're not worth the effort but I find swarming one of the most interesting aspects. One could say a hobby to my beekeeping.

Latest posts

Back