Any swarm success

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jafer2

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Anyone so far had any success in capturing any Swarm? I have mine out but nothing so far. still early days but you never know :)

Nope, nothing, but my bait hive is in my garden so I don't know if there is that many colonies in my area. Where did you place yours?

Sent from my SM-J710F using Tapatalk

The way my bees are going I think I might be losing one let alone catching one!
E

Just got mine ready to put in the mother in laws garden at the weekend

Last weekend there was no report of much drone brood in hives so guessing they won’t be much interested in swarming until there are a few drones about. I’ve had my boxes out for a week and nothing yet.

My drones are flying - not many though.

I caught one. :D
It had a queen and she is now in a two frame nuc.

Attachments

• CBE8477D-154F-4CBD-AE98-251C1AEBA394.jpg
    CBE8477D-154F-4CBD-AE98-251C1AEBA394.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 83
Nope, nothing, but my bait hive is in my garden so I don't know if there is that many colonies in my area. Where did you place yours?

Sent from my SM-J710F using Tapatalk

Well placed mine next to my other hives. It's several feet off ground South facing nuc with super on top for extra space :)

Watched it a little but no activity.

As for the drones I have seen several drones in mine already. I would assume my best shot would be mid May. I also don't know how many hives but as I'm in the city I would assume a few around

I caught one. :D

It had a queen and she is now in a two frame nuc.

There must be 30 bees there.....impressive swarm. Only joking, 2 frames they left their previous owner looking for someone who would actually feed them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Watched then fly into our ornamental cherry. They spent the night in a Kieler and I shook the remaining bees out in front of the rest of the hives. Only one or two came back. I must be mad!

Set up my bait hives yesterday but its a bit early yet,as others say not enough drones about at the moment.

Early days

Had mine out for a couple of weeks but still early days.

It's been so cold up to last weekend but now temperatures are up and loads of osr coming into flower so fingers crossed I'll have a couple coming my way soon.

A few honey bees crawling into one of my bait hives yesterday, but I'm not sure whether they are looking for a new home or just scavenging honey. Should find out in the next week or so.:sunning:

Had mine out for a couple of weeks but still early days.

It's been so cold up to last weekend but now temperatures are up and loads of osr coming into flower so fingers crossed I'll have a couple coming my way soon.

A few honey bees crawling into one of my bait hives yesterday, but I'm not sure whether they are looking for a new home or just scavenging honey. Should find out in the next week or so.:sunning:

It will still depend greatly on the weather. That might be weather we might get enough nectar. Weather too cold and colonies could even be throwing out drones! So weather or not we all depend on the weather weather we like it or not. (Sorry about the play on weather and whether, but could not resist weather you like it or weather you don’t done partly because I know some on here can’t read - see complaints thread for an example).

had a call the other day from someone who reported lots of honey bees in and around his house, I went out but no Swarm however what appeared to be scouts checking out soffits and vents on the property.
bait hive left on site but no call as yet!

bait hive up at home with no interest BUT have seen bees checking out my Bee Vac box in the Bee shed for a few days! Nothing in there for them but have seen fanning on the entrance so maybe considering it as a possible home?

we shall see!

did find a few cups with eggs in them in one of my own colonies and one with Royal Jelly in it so keeping an eye on them.

wont be long now!

had a call the other day from someone who reported lots of honey bees in and around his house, I went out but no Swarm however what appeared to be scouts checking out soffits and vents on the property.
bait hive left on site but no call as yet!

bait hive up at home with no interest BUT have seen bees checking out my Bee Vac box in the Bee shed for a few days! Nothing in there for them but have seen fanning on the entrance so maybe considering it as a possible home?

we shall see!

did find a few cups with eggs in them in one of my own colonies and one with Royal Jelly in it so keeping an eye on them.

wont be long now!

Likely there is already a colony in the wall - they had not realised it was there last year!

Had the same. About 10 charged cells in one of the hives at the weekend, not a lot of drones but split carried out.
Hopefully some nice weather for the new queen in a couple of weeks.

Likely there is already a colony in the wall - they had not realised it was there last year!

well if there is I couldn't locate it? it was what I was thinking either that or a swarm moving in/trying to.

Back