any plans for hives made from logs?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I may in the not too distant future be the owner of a small woodland, and hope to keep some bees there, at first I thought of making my normal tbh, but then started thinking that to aid them blending in with the surround area, why not use a fallen log and chainsaw, and hopefully end up with a hive that still looks like a fallen log

See "bees for development" they do put reach bee keeping in Africa and all the hives are made from logs.

Here is a youtube link for making one.....follow on from this link and you will come across several clips of them being made and used

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkTWSXPTAiM[/ame]

I may in the not too distant future be the owner of a small woodland, and hope to keep some bees there, at first I thought of making my normal tbh, but then started thinking that to aid them blending in with the surround area, why not use a fallen log and chainsaw, and hopefully end up with a hive that still looks like a fallen log

Have you found one yet and if so what's it like - species wise etc.?

You're very welcome m8....good luck with them if you do decide to go down that route, looks worth doing for trying to set up a few feral colonies on the edge of forests.

You're very welcome m8....good luck with them if you do decide to go down that route, looks worth doing for trying to set up a few feral colonies on the edge of forests.

keep the thickness ~ 150mm and the internal height > 600mm
bottom entrance...
it matters a great deal for the heat

i may in the not too distant future be the owner of a small woodland, and hope to keep some bees there, at first i thought of making my normal tbh, but then started thinking that to aid them blending in with the surround area, why not use a fallen log and chainsaw, and hopefully end up with a hive that still looks like a fallen log

ever thought about bee-keeping instead of being a loony

ever thought about bee-keeping instead of being a loony

Although I would not even think of going down this road that comment is bite rude and uncalled for as it is insulting (in my view).:spy:

Latest posts

Back