Anti Robbing Experiment.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Show me a link or picture please ..

Google robbing screen in images.

It's basically a small mesh cage in front of the entrance with a single bee space entrance in it .. the theory is that the guard bees can 'patrol' this extra area in front of the actual hive entrance (which is also reduced to one bee space) more effectively against robbers.

Are you sure it is 10 bees and not 9 or 11..:rolleyes:

I have counted, 10.00

He ran out of fingers after that.

Unlike my uncle Idwal - who lost his middle finger in an accident underground.
But he was happy enough as he made up for that handicap by having three testicles.

......... Just like my aunty Myfanwy.

Watching the bees using one of these, I changed mine to have the entrance at the lower edge, to make it easier for them to carry out dead bees.

Watching the bees using one of these, I changed mine to have the entrance at the lower edge, to make it easier for them to carry out dead bees.

The natural instinct is to climb UP. so the entrance is put on the side or top so their natural instinct doesn't help them (robbers and wasps) find it by accident.

Thank you...is that the bees entrance hole at the top of the mesh screen.

Yes, some of them also have a small flap that pivots on a single screw so that the entrance can be sealed if the robbing bees/wasps show too much signs of getting ahead of the colony. Just close the entrance during the peak robbing until they give up.

The natural instinct is to climb UP. so the entrance is put on the side or top so their natural instinct doesn't help them (robbers and wasps) find it by accident.

Hmm. Revert to entrance at top then.
(I can open mine easily enough to empty out dead bees which seemed to be left in the frame.)

Wasps don't always win

Attachments

• Has everyone grabbed a leg.jpg
    Has everyone grabbed a leg.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Gotcha.jpg
    Gotcha.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 58
i don't understand this quote P ...

I think it means the "natural instinct" of "robbers and wasps".

If the entrance / exit was placed at the bottom, a wasp or robber would eventually land on the face of the hive, and with their natural instinct to climb upwards they would climb right behind the screen, but if the entrance / exit is placed on top, then the robbers and wasps would only stumble upon the entrance / exit by accident. I think that's it. Please correct me if I'm wrong :)

The bees would naturally climb up, upon exiting the hive, and figure out how to get back in quite quickly, the largish area behind the screen relative the the size of the exit hole helps builds up the numbers of bees to aid in a modest amount of congestion at the exit hole, so the foragers would themselves act as a barrier to robbers and especially wasp trying to enter.

How transparent does that screen need to be, I have greenish plastic mesh for the garden, which is more closed over I think 1 or 2mm, I wonder if that would do.

I've also heard (Dave Cushman website) that glass (I'm sure perspex would do just as well) can be used instead of mesh; but it could get very warm behind it.

It is official that them tunnel entrances did not work.. both nuc's where getting seriously robbed by my other colonies so i have had to move them... 65 mile away should do the trick..:rolleyes:

Sounds Channel Tunnel

It is official that them tunnel entrances did not work.. both nuc's where getting seriously robbed by my other colonies so i have had to move them... 65 mile away should do the trick..:rolleyes:

That's because the bees were the robbers
I bet they work against wasps which have different brains.....

Trunking entrance for wasp deterrent

Does anyone have the size of cable trunking to use over entrances to help deter wasps entering hives?

Latest posts

Back