Another Somerset Newby!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClarksMeadow

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
New member from Shepton Mallet. Joined the SBKA as full member, did the Central 'Taster Day' yesterday - superb advice, great people, and cake included! Following that advice, located Cedar National Hive in kit form on Ebay and ordered two. Looking forward to joining the regular apiary meetings. Looking for a 'mentor' so that I can get started properly and with solid advice!

Just a bit too far away to help I am afraid but welcome

Welcome from the Bath area.

If you need any more kit, the main suppliers will be having sales over the winter.

New member from Shepton Mallet. Joined the SBKA as full member, did the Central 'Taster Day' yesterday - superb advice, great people, and cake included! Following that advice, located Cedar National Hive in kit form on Ebay and ordered two. Looking forward to joining the regular apiary meetings. Looking for a 'mentor' so that I can get started properly and with solid advice!
So did the Central team not suggest a mentor? Have you joined that division? Are they not having any meetings that you can go to and find a mentor? They are a friendly group, no, I’m not in it, but a neighbouring one.

So did the Central team not suggest a mentor? Have you joined that division? Are they not having any meetings that you can go to and find a mentor? They are a friendly group, no, I’m not in it, but a neighbouring one.
A great group, but apparently I have to wait until I've done 'the course' next April before I get access to anything. If that's how they work, I'm not complaining. But April is a long time away. I guess sorting new members by asking them to wait 7 or 8 months is one way of doing things...

Welcome from the Bath area.

If you need any more kit, the main suppliers will be having sales over the winter.
Yes exactly. I'm driving down to Devon on Saturday for the Thorne sale - have ordered seconds frames for the hives. Only 100 mins drive, so not too far.

Yes exactly. I'm driving down to Devon on Saturday for the Thorne sale - have ordered seconds frames for the hives. Only 100 mins drive, so not too far.
I’m heading that way too, to settle my eldest child in at Exeter Uni. Hoping to get a chance to stop in at some point.

If you haven't been to the Devon's Thornes you have to drive right through the bee farm and Thornes is on the exit gate. Took me ages to find it the first time

A great group, but apparently I have to wait until I've done 'the course' next April before I get access to anything. If that's how they work, I'm not complaining. But April is a long time away. I guess sorting new members by asking them to wait 7 or 8 months is one way of doing things...
If you’ve joined that division as a full member, or even as an associate, then you are entitled to attend meetings, get to see bees, know people, and attend any meetings within the County. Not getting bees until next year is a good thing, in my view, someone else gets the worry of keeping them alive over winter! Have a look at the webpage, some of the meetings are listed there.

I’m heading that way too, to settle my eldest child in at Exeter Uni. Hoping to get a chance to stop in at some point.

It's that time of year :) My son is back off up to Lancaster to start the final year of his degree. Not his final year there however, as he is intending to do an MSc. afterwards. My daughter would be leaving for her first year but decided to defer for a year and is now pondering on other possible universities too (Cardiff Met and Swansea, I believe).

James

It's that time of year :) My son is back off up to Lancaster to start the final year of his degree. Not his final year there however, as he is intending to do an MSc. afterwards. My daughter would be leaving for her first year but decided to defer for a year and is now pondering on other possible universities too (Cardiff Met and Swansea, I believe).

James
Mine is hoping to do a straight masters with year in industry. 5 years! The next one will overlap and is considering Law. Think I need to win the lottery!!

I know several people who once they have done a years course decide Beekeeping is not for them. Also you will be srprised at how much there is to learn and a 1 year coruse in only a starting point. I was at a meeting with several Beekeepers, one of them who kept bees at Buck palace, told us he learnt Beekeeping from his Grandad as a child and at 83 yrs old was still learning

Latest posts

Back