another newbie question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fullframe45

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 --5.
This being only my second year i am interested in learning different modes of beekeeping. I have some paynes poly nucs adapted to take 8 frames and also some extension boxes to fit .My idea is to make up a nuc/hive soley using the paynes . Just wondering if others have gone this way and any tips would be welcome.

works ok, but i make a kind of poly over lid for over winter. they need that in my climate

No hives NEED to be of any particular dimension. We make it so for convenience and to get the perfect dimensions for a brood box!
E

This being only my second year i am interested in learning different modes of beekeeping. I have some paynes poly nucs adapted to take 8 frames and also some extension boxes to fit .My idea is to make up a nuc/hive soley using the paynes . Just wondering if others have gone this way and any tips would be welcome.

No reason at all, I once did similar with maisemore nuc bodies and the bees loved it. However, it was five boxes high and would need good support in case of winds, being so tall and thin.

Thank you for replies,just not sure if i should use the paynes nuc box as base or use a wooden floor with underfloor acess,propably more stable and easier to clean.Afriend who has been invaluable to me since i strted with the bees siad he has done it in the past and the bees did really well.I know what you mean re the height in strong winds.Something to take into consideration.

Thank you for replies,just not sure if i should use the paynes nuc box as base or use a wooden floor with underfloor acess,propably more stable and easier to clean.Afriend who has been invaluable to me since i strted with the bees siad he has done it in the past and the bees did really well.I know what you mean re the height in strong winds.Something to take into consideration.

I have all my Payne’s nuc boxes in wooden floors with UFE.
They do very well

Stood next to and strapped to a post they should be safe enough. Definitely make your own floors for better stability.

just buy the broods, I made a couple floors, they work fine, I wouldnt cut the bottom off a nuc just to do it, atatched bottom nucs have their upside if your up a ladder with one

I will keep the nuc boxes with mesh floor and just use the extensions or brood boxes and make up a under entrance floor. As said it will give more stability that way and i have had an offer to buy some used extensions to fit .Im not sure how it will work but i just want to try it out.Ill get something like a scaffold tube and strap to that as im on the edge of a field of beans and a bit open to the elements.Thank you again.

Latest posts

Back