Another interesting book

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
Whilst on holiday we met a charming couple from the Yukon and they gave us their paper to read. In it was a long and very interesting article about smuggling honey via third parties. Some honey was you will be aware is not allowed in some countries due to the way the hives are abused with chemicals.

A book was mentioned which I have just ordered, and like the one now in circulation in the forum if it is suitable I will send this on on it's way.

The Honey Trail: In Pursuit of Liquid Gold and Vanishing Bees (Hardcover)
by Grace Pundyk (Author)

PH

I ordered a book from the US last year. It wasn't a bee book but the cover price in the US was $15.00 but in this country it was £15.00 - which is what the local bookshop said it would be, so it wasn't a surprise. When it arrived I found out I could have got the e-book version for less than $8.00. I don't have an e-reader but you could also get it in a pdf form which my PC could read. There may be restrictions on selling to Europe at these prices but certainly the idea of e-books becomes attractive for this sort of price saving. Mind you, the local bookshop would soon go out of business.

Well yes but personally I find reading books on screen very wearing.

I like the feel of a book, and sometimes to be honest the smell too. However I have to say I was brought up surrounded by books as my father ran a printing company. :)

PH

I am not keen on reading long documents on a computer but needs must and all that. Our lass has just got a kindle and I will say I am very tempted myself.

If you dont have an e-reader try calibre for reading e-reader documents like mobi for instance. on your computer. It reads quite a variety of different formats and can also convert them to.

If you have an e-reader device then it also catalogues them for you and can assist transfering the documents to.

BB

http://calibre-ebook.com/

I am split on screen or paper book. I like reference books to be just that books, as PH says. I like the feel and the 'possession' of them. That said I have a Kindle and use it extensively when travelling but more for 'casual' reading. Tried a reference book on it and it simply doesn't work for the way I use a ref book to learn - it wont let you flick around in the way you can turn good old fashion pages.

So, in 20 years time you still have the book, will you still have the digital version?

So, in 20 years time you still have the book, will you still have the digital version?

Only time can answer that question but I have mp3's on my computer that are over 10 years old and I still play them. I dont know where my CD collection is any more. Some in the loft and some given away.

and our lass is always giving books away as we run out of space and make way for new books

I wonder how long it will be before the script kiddies write some love notes for the new toys.

PH

Exactly, the books I am likely to go back to again and again I continue to purchase as books, the throw away 'pass time' novels go on the kindle

Latest posts

Back