Another Hornet species in France.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hemo

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 - 7
According to the bbka news that dropped thru the door today a larger Hornet specie has been found in France on at least two occasions. Vespa orientalis Linneus yet another invasive dedicated bee killer for the French and maybe us to have to look out for in future years.
Hopefully like V.v they would have difficulty in establishing in the more northern areas.
As if our bees haven't got enough on their plate to deal with from pests and disease.

The bee in this pick is certainly dicing with death.
1637452976797.png

Last edited:
That is a scary looking beast! I’ll let you know if I see one.
Austin (in Normandy)

and...

Attachments

• Zachi 2021 Vespa orientalis, a new alien species in Romania.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 65
The nests were found in the Marseille area.

According to the bbka news that dropped thru the door today a larger Hornet specie has been found in France on at least two occasions. Vespa orientalis Linneus yet another invasive dedicated bee killer for the French and maybe us to have to look out for in future years.
Hopefully like V.v they would have difficulty in establishing in the more northern areas.
As if our bees haven't got enough on their plate to deal with from pests and disease.

View attachment 29225

I often marvel at the anatomical design, whether that was by God or by Darwinian evolution, of bees, wasps and other Hymenoptera. Beautifully demo'd in Hemo's pic. Why have such a large thorax and a large abdomen joined together by a such a thin thread? Plumbing and cabling running between the two halves must really be packed in tight... Why?

View attachment 29225
:eek: Some benefit to living on a cold wet island then!

Hi All
seems V. oreintalis has been recorded in the UK already as well as Belgium.... dont agree with the last sentence either!!!🐝😲😲
the following from SPHECOS -
Number 5 -February 1982
A Newsletter for Aculeate Wasp Researchers

"TRAVELING HORNETS by Robin Edwards
Jacob Ishay, it seems, has started sending me Christmas presents from Israel. I assume it must be Ishay, for who else would have beautiful live queens of Vespa orientalis to give away? The strange thing is that he has packed them in crates
of grapefruits and oranges and sent them via two British supermarkets!
On second thought, perhaps its all fortuitous and the queens made their own way into the crates. I have now received two (Dec 1979 and Jan 1981), in perfect condition and given the right environment, probably quite capable of initiating nests. Similarly, in Belgium recently (see Delmotte and Leclercq, 1980, A propos
d'un Frelon Oriental intercepte vivant a Gembloux. Bull. Ann. Soc. Roy. Belg. Ent. 116:183-184) a queen of~· orientalis was found alive in a box of grapefruit from Cyprus. The authors of the note rightly, I believe, concluded that the queen was unlikely to found a colony in the temperate climate of Belgium, even if she had survived the winter. Nevertheless, this shows how easily vespines and other Aculeates can be spread around the world. Surely it is only a matter of time before this species and some others become established in foreign countries. I
doubt if any exotic species will breed in Britain, for with our poor summer
weather, I often wonder how anything breeds here! Still, it would be rather nice to find a colony of Vespa mandarinia in my back garden."

View attachment 29225
beautiful insect though

Yes, it certainly is a strikingly good looking insect.

Back