another dodgey £bay offer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If ebay's rules were logical and even-handed across the board to begin with there wouldn't be any of this type of circumventing.

Also don't forget the "Collect in person" option. When I sell bees, I try and sell locally only, and when I buy livestock from ebay, I do my best to collect locally as well.

If ebay's rules were logical and even-handed across the board to begin with there wouldn't be any of this type of circumventing.

It's their business,they seem to be to say the least doing rather well. If somebody has a beef about how they run it, don't use it. There are other places to sell bees and livestock. Selling bees? donate to the forum and sell them here. Simples.

the person whos advert you are talking about was told she is not allowed to advertise on here as she makes her living from beekeeping (gasp horror), and was prepared to donate.

seems she cant win what ever she does, so much for an entrepreneur based economy. seems very unfair to me that someone is having a pop at her for doing that, we all have to earn a living.

sorry if that sounds like a rant it wasnt ment to be just not fair on the person concerned.

the person whos advert you are talking about was told she is not allowed to advertise on here as she makes her living from beekeeping (gasp horror), and was prepared to donate.

seems she cant win what ever she does, so much for an entrepreneur based economy. seems very unfair to me that someone is having a pop at her for doing that, we all have to earn a living.

sorry if that sounds like a rant it wasnt ment to be just not fair on the person concerned.

I am very sorry to hear that, and was unaware of the history. I would like to contribute a positive comment that, there are a lot of young people at college who are interested in getting a break in life and who are desperate to break into web site design and management. My youngest is currently working on a web site for our allotments and it will look good on his CV. There is always a legitimate option to a problem, the right way is usually the most viable way, not trying to get round an existing sites rules, as it gives the impression of not being honest.

So what if someone wants to get round some of Ebay's ridiculous rules using loopholes? perhaps some people should keep their noses out of things that actually do not concern them.and get a life, If the seller want to sell "order forms" to sell queens then what is wrong with that?? Christ! does it really matter??

Sorry for the rant but it really gets my goat when you see these types of posts, haven't people got anything better to do?

Well said. :iagree:

Well said DP:iagree::willy_nilly:

I am very sorry to hear that, and was unaware of the history. I would like to contribute a positive comment that, there are a lot of young people at college who are interested in getting a break in life and who are desperate to break into web site design and management. My youngest is currently working on a web site for our allotments and it will look good on his CV. There is always a legitimate option to a problem, the right way is usually the most viable way, not trying to get round an existing sites rules, as it gives the impression of not being honest.

Andy, she does of course have her own site already where she's very open about her breeding stock and it's sources etc. I imagine that she sees ebay more as an advertizing platform than an actual sale outlet. The thing is, they've allowed her listings for order forms to continue for a considerable time now so the impression that they're not viewing it as contrary to their rules has been created. If they now wish to stop further listings due to pressure from other beekeepers then as you said in an earlier post, that's their business, it's their website.

As it stands I'm not sure whether they pulled the listing which you originally linked or whether Jean did so herself just to try to avoid another lengthy vilification on this site. Either way I think it's a shame and by now she must be seriously questioning the old adage about beekeepers being a friendly bunch!

I can guarantee that if we allow commercial advertising the forum will become a mess in a very short time.

The site runs very well on the generosity of forum members and I am not prepared to give up my free time approving adverts from commercial beeks in an effort to increase their turnover.

Hi mark

i wasnt questioning the merits or otherwise of commercial adverts on the site i just thought Andy needed some background to this person as i felt she was being unfairly villified in the thread as per the title saying "dodgy" which i can say having met her she certianly isnt. And others on this site seem to thing its very wrong for commercial beekeepers making a living.

People need to be able to make a living, she has chosen beekeeping and good on her for that, I would prefer to give my money to her than some other companies.

I can guarantee that if we allow commercial advertising the forum will become a mess in a very short time.

The site runs very well on the generosity of forum members and I am not prepared to give up my free time approving adverts from commercial beeks in an effort to increase their turnover.

I often go to a HiFi forum run by a well known Scottish company and which has been effectively been taken over by a particular dealer and a small group of his customers/friends. Whatever the thread, within 5 postings we get one of those friends praising his services and asserting that he is the only dealer you should patronise.

As a result I'm finding that forum more and more irritating, and visiting it less often.

The most annoying thing is that when the offending dealer is giving advice rather than blowing his own trumpet, what he says is invariably valuable.

Keep the dealers off this forum.

Andy, she does of course have her own site already where she's very open about her breeding stock and it's sources etc. I imagine that she sees ebay more as an advertizing platform than an actual sale outlet. The thing is, they've allowed her listings for order forms to continue for a considerable time now so the impression that they're not viewing it as contrary to their rules has been created. If they now wish to stop further listings due to pressure from other beekeepers then as you said in an earlier post, that's their business, it's their website.

As it stands I'm not sure whether they pulled the listing which you originally linked or whether Jean did so herself just to try to avoid another lengthy vilification on this site. Either way I think it's a shame and by now she must be seriously questioning the old adage about beekeepers being a friendly bunch!
Firstly, thanks for your support, there are a lot of beginner bee keepers out there that are not members of groups & clubs etc, I gave plenty of advise & help to about 20 beginners from that ebay ad and advised them to join the BBKA, so for all, a win win situation. The ad was pulled by ebay. So there we go end of!!not worthy:Angel_anim:

:iagree:Cheersnot worthy

Latest posts

Back